Tuesday, July 6, 2010

DIE FANTASTISCHEN VIER - 4 GEWINNT

Die Fantastischen Vier is German for The Fantastic Four. This is an interesting CD for a number of reasons. I picked it up while I was living in Switzerland and I'm glad I did. The Four are different because they rap in German. As Hip Hop became more and more popular around the world, different artists in other countries started expressing themselves using this American style. This band is one of the few who started in Germany.

It was fun and interesting to hear kids from another culture embracing an American art form so dramatically. And truth be told, I sometimes think they do it better than most rappers in the states. The disc contains some sampling. But not to the point of overwhelming the listener. One of the most annoying things about rap is the sampling. It gets boring when all you hear is a repeated line from another song over and over. The Four use samples to create new sounding songs and verse. To this level, I absolutely applaud them.

I also like the nature of their lyrics. There's no ultra inflammatory statements or bigotry. Instead, they focus on telling stories or seeking acceptance for their lifestyle and chosen art form. In almost every case, I found the songs to be funky with excellent beats and fun lyrics. My favorite tracks on the disc are 'Saft', 'Die Da!?!', 'Na Gut', 'Es Wird Regen Geben', 'Lass Die Sonne Rein' and 'Nonixnarretz'. There are some songs that drag and seem a little preoccupied. Mainly, 'Arschloch'... I don't like this tune at all. Way too long and dull.

So they're interesting and I like what they're doing. I'm not sure I really need to translate or discuss the lyrics as most Americans won't see a reason to relate to what they're singing about, but it is fun to listen to this disc and enjoy the fun of rapping in a foreign language.

This group continues to enjoy chart success in Europe. If you get a chance, listen to them or pick up one of their discs. They're a lot of fun.
My final words: SWEET & FUNKY.


DIE FANTASTISCHEN VIER - 4 GEWINNT
01. Vier Gewinnt
02. Die Da!?!
03. Hort Euch Den Hier An
04. Saft
05. Dicker Pulli
06. Na Gut
07. Einen Noch
08. Es Wird Regen Geben
09. Nenn Ihn Prasident
10. Plattenspieler
11. Hip Hop Musik
12. Lass Die Sonne Rein
13. Thomas Und Die Fraun
14. Nonixnarretz
15. Jaaa
16. Reich
17. Individuell Aber Schnell
18. Arschloch

No comments:

Post a Comment