Monday, May 11, 2015

WENDY & LISA - RE-MIX-IN-A-CARNATION

The one thing I can say for certainty about this release is it wasn't released in the US.  It's a European release, though I'm not 100% sure I know the country of origin.  I remember discovering this disc and going out of my way to locate a copy.  I think I bought it on eBay or Amazon.  I do remember this was a disc I went looking for and I paid whatever was asked to get it.

This disc is basically a remix EP.  The mixes contained on the disc span the duo's first three records.  Two of the mixes are from their debut release, "Wendy And Lisa", three are from "Fruit At The Bottom" and the last one is from "Eroica".

The title of the album is interesting.  It's playing on the word reincarnation.  And that's not entirely far from the truth.  Each one of the songs appearing on this disc is reborn in a remix.  Not always successfully, but reborn nonetheless.

The first track is 'Lolly Lolly' and it's remixed by William Orbit.  It's a fairly straight forward mix.  The drum track is altered and there are some new electro sounds added in.  Some of the instrumentation is stripped out making it a deeper cut, but that move sacrifices the cheerful nature of the tune and makes it sound a little dull.  Nellee Hooper is responsible for the 'Waterfall' mix and this is by far, the best mix on the disc.  It's subdued, flowing and it compliments the song rather than obstructs it.  I quite love this mix actually.

'Are You My Baby' is remixed by Paul Oakenfold and Steve Osbourne.  They add some deep bass grooves, but stay fairly faithful to the original.  Nothing wrong here.  I think of all Wendy & Lisa tracks, this one is probably the most remixed.  'Staring At The Sun' is reworked by Youth and The Orb.  It has a psychedelic intro added and then it moves into an almost spiritual tantric version of itself.  The drum track is completely unnecessary.  The piano and vocals could carry this mix all on their own.  It's soaring and lovely.  

D.J. Premier tackles 'Satisfaction' and this is perhaps the most staggeringly different mix of the whole bunch.  Virtually all the music is scrapped in favor of the pseudo swing beat Premier makes.  It doesn't compliment the song and seems quite at odds with the vocals.  About the only thing it does compliment is the rap added toward the end.  Unnecessary.  Finally, Steve Anderson hypes up 'Sideshow'.  This is another great mix with the addition of percussion.  I think this mix demonstrates how instrumentation can enhance a track while the previous number distracts.

Ultimately, this is a great disc and one well worth owning if you're a fan.  I'm not sure what it's selling for these days, but if it's too much, you may want to consider buying a digital copy.  No matter what you do one thing is certain, Wendy & Lisa wrote amazing music and it lends itself well to mixing.  My final words:  DON'T MISS RE-DISCOVERING THESE CLASSIC TUNES IN THEIR NEW FORMS!

WENDY & LISA - RE-MIX-IN-A-CARNATION
01. Lolly Lolly (William Orbit Remix)
02. Waterfall (Nellee Hooper Remix)
03. Are You My Baby (Paul Oakenfold And Steve Osbourne Remix)
04. Staring At The Sun (Youth And The Orb Remix)
05. Satisfaction (Gangstarr Remix)
06. Sideshow (1991 Remix)

No comments:

Post a Comment