Friday, May 29, 2015

SMASHING PUMPKINS - DISARM

The Smashing Pumpkins were one of the bands playing heavily on Xtreme radio in Vegas back in the 90's.  I heard them everyday and became a huge fan.  I started buying everything I could find.  This magical little single showed up at a used CD store one day for a measly $2 and I couldn't leave it there.

'Disarm' is a lovely grand tune composed by Billy Corgan.  It sweels, soars and pretty much lifts your spirit from whatever ground it might be standing on.  I'll discuss it more on the full length album.  The second track is 'Soothe (Demo)'.  This acoustic soft cut is a tune about desire/longing/love overcoming something that should or would destroy a relationship.  He's hungry for his lover again.  And that desire allows him to forgive and move past the negative feelings.

Finally, band member and sometime songwriter, James Iha contributes 'Blew Away' featuring himself on lead vocals.  It's an enjoyable song that faintly reminds me of something I'd expect to hear from the Beatles.  Iha has a softer voice.  He's missing the sharp distinction of Corgan, but it's often refreshing to hear it in a Pumpkins tune.

This single with two b-sides it certainly worth the expense of finding.  I'm very happy with mine.  The "Smile" cover is misleading, but memorable.  My final words:  ANOTHER GREAT PUMPKIN, CHARLIE BROWN!!!  PICK THIS ONE UP!

SMASHING PUMPKINS - DISARM
01. Disarm
02. Soothe (Demo)
03. Blew Away

2 comments:

  1. Found this online and gave it a listen. I love it! Always did like this group.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh yeah, the pumpkins are great!!! And this was a good time for them. I'm glad you enjoyed it.

      Delete