Thursday, May 28, 2015

BLACK BOX - DREAMLAND

I remember watching a late night video program.  I think it was on NBC or something.  It was called Friday Night Videos and the video for 'Everybody Everybody' came on.  House music was on its way to becoming the dominate electronic sound and set the tone for a large part of the 90's.  I loved the song!  I had to have it.  The very first thing I bought from Black Box was the 'Everybody Everybody' cassette single.  I still have it today.

I picked up the CD many years later.  I don't remember where I bought it but I do know I paid full retail price.  And I was very happy when I got it.  Of course, Black Box is a band surrounded by controversy.  The lead singer appearing in videos and on album and single covers is a model.  The real vocalist is a woman named Martha Walsh.  For whatever reason, they didn't make her a part of the band, instead choosing a model to lip sync.  On the heels of the Milli Vanilli disaster just a year or so before, Black Box bore the brunt of a backlash when it was revealed the lead singer was lip syncing.

Years later, Martha Walsh was the Grand Marshall at a Las Vegas pride event.  I remember watching her perform.  That was the closest I came to seeing Black Box live.  

Even today, this record is a great disc and I enjoy it!  The opening track is 'Everybody Everybody' and it's fun, dance-able and groovy.  Usually, if you like a single, you'll find the rest of the record boring.  But not the case here.  'I Don't Know Anybody Else' comes in next and it's absolutely brilliant.  Another smashingly great number in the same vein as 'Everybody Everybody'.  One thing you realize quickly is that a lot of the music on this record sounds the same.  But the vocal arrangements are different.  Some better than others.  'Open Your Eyes' is one that doesn't live up to the energy of the previous songs.  'Fantasy' is the first track to change tempo.  It still maintains a steady pace, but it's technically a ballad.  A very good number.

The title track is actually an instrumental and is followed by one of the biggest selling singles from the disc, 'Ride On Time'!  This is another controversial track because it uses the vocals of another singer.  So far, they've ripped off two vocalists.  Yikes.  'Hold On' is a major sound departure for the band.  This track relies heavily on the street sound at the time.  It sounds more gritty and rough than the rest of the disc.  The slick production isn't as dominate.

'Ghost Box' is a mellow, jazzy number featuring sax and melodic piano.  This is also an instrumental.  It's nice to have some different sounds.  It helps to break up the record and make it more digestible.  You don't get trapped in a sound loop.  The album closer, 'Strike It Up' is a return to form and ends the record on the high note it started with and became so famous for.

All around, this is a well balanced album.  There are certain choices I would've made differently from the band.  And I never would've dumped Martha Walsh for a skinny model.  You just can't deny this record has strength in both the writing and the sound.  It was on the top of a movement that some people will probably be glad is over.  But for a minute, house music was in and Black Box was hot all over the world!

 My final words:  DEFINITELY WORTH OWNING!  A GREAT EXAMPLE OF HOUSE MUSIC STYLE.

BLACK BOX - DREAMLAND
01. Everybody Everybody (Le Freak Mix - 7" Edit)
02. I Don't Know Anybody Else
03. Open Your Eyes
04. Fantasy
05. Dreamland
06. Ride On Time (Remix)
07. Hold On
08. Ghost Box
09. Strike It Up

No comments:

Post a Comment