Wednesday, April 1, 2015

RAMMSTEIN - ICH WILL

It's a quick one today, folks!  Back in the 90's, post-East German industrial rockers, Rammstein took the United States by storm!  Theatrical pyrotechnics, unrelenting beats, scary German lyrics all added up as the perfect ingredients for a big sloppy cake of international fame.  From backwoods Kentucky to inner city suburbs in Moscow, Rammstein's blend of power rock, strange techno and special effects called out to disenfranchised youth everywhere.  Although I was too old to be counted among the "kids", I did love them and I bought everything they put out.  I have all the singles.  Even ones I had to order from the UK or Germany.

"Ich Will", (German for "I Want"), is a track from the "Mutter" album.  This was the album I stopped buying singles and trying to track everything down.  It's not that I didn't want to follow them, but they started putting out such expensive limited editions.  I couldn't afford to follow them.  And now, those items that cost $100 initially sell for hundreds when you can actually find them.  Because of this, I lost my interest in collecting their releases.  So this was the last album I actually bought singles from.  There are five music tracks and one multimedia track on this disc.  The multimedia track is a live performance of 'Ich Will'.  Track 2 is the audio of that performance. 


The first track is listed as the album version, but I have to be honest with you, I think the start is different.  I'll have to listen to it and compare it to my copy of "Mutter" to find out.  It's followed up by the live version.  Then comes the Westbam Mix...  I'm not knowledgeable when it comes to Westbam, but this version sounds like something Kraftwerk would've done if they'd written this number.  If I'm not mistaken, they use only one keyboard motif through the entire mix that can be found on the original track.  Other wise, it's a long, long deep beat mix that doesn't seem to peak or climax.  I guess that's cool if you like endless beats...  Anyway, #4 is the Paul Van Dyk Mix.  Once again, I have no clue who Paul Van Dyk is.  All of this was happening during the time DJ's were becoming the new Rock Stars.  The beat is far more interesting than the previous effort and it's different from anything we've heard lately.  About half way through, it devolves into an acoustic track.  Then it builds the song back up with the beat kicking in.  It's a little better than the previous mix, but it's still pretty heavy with all the not moving towards a climax or developing into a proper mix.


The final audio track is a Ramones cover.  'Pet Sematary' is actually the second live track appearing on this unique release.  After listening to it a few times, I think they did a great job!  Surprising when you consider how uncomfortable Till normally is singing English.  It's possible it's not even him.  But I think I remember him performing this tune, so I'll just assume it's him.

Rammstein are a consistent band.  Each album furthers the mythology and builds up the fairy tale nightmare world they want to surround you with.  They usually release singles and albums with generous content...  Mixes, B-Sides, multimedia clips... And the artwork is always building on the album theme.  Commercially and from a marketing standpoint, I think Rammstein are highly collectible and apparently, a lot of people agree with me.  'Ich Will' is a great tune.  One of the best from "Mutter" and this single release is worth the effort and time.  My final words:  IF SINGLES WERE HITS AT BAT, THIS ONE'S A HOMERUN!

RAMMSTEIN - ICH WILL
01. Ich Will (Album Version)
02. Ich Will (Live)
03. Ich Will (Westbam Mix)
04. Ich Will (Paul Van Dyk Mix)
05. Pet Sematary
06. Ich Will (Live CD-R Track)

No comments:

Post a Comment