Wednesday, April 22, 2015

JUNIOR SENIOR - HEY HEY MY MY YO YO

Junior Senior are a duo from Denmark I discovered through my cousin!  He played me a couple of their songs and I really enjoyed them.  I bought the first album, (which I will review at some point), but I fell in love with the song 'Can I Get Get Get' from a Youtube clip of the video.  It was awesome!  And because of that, I bought the album on eBay.  I ended up receiving an advance promotional copy of the record.  But hey, that's cool.  The music is the same.

The first track, 'Hello' is actually the intro to the second track, 'Hip Hop A Lula'.  This track is a little awkward.  Sometimes bands who's first language isn't English but choose to perform in English write rhyming lyrics that are kinda ridiculous.  And this song is a perfect example of embarrassing lyrics.  I cringe when I hear them.  The music is OK.  But it's not dynamic enough to cover the cringe-worthiness of the lyrical content.  However, the third track is 'Can I Get Get Get' and there's simply no way I can praise this track enough.  It's got a great beat and it uses that old keyboard sound from mid 80's burgeoning rap genre.  It's old school with a modern sensibility and a catchy chorus!  There's no way you aren't going to love this song!  Trust me.

Now Junior Senior are composed to two guys.  One has a higher pitched vocal range and he sings most of the melodic parts while his partner has a deeper voice and raps.  'Take My Time' is a track that focuses on the singing side of the duo.  The music is pretty good and the song is well written.  It's enjoyable.  But it's missing a core ingredient...  It's the combination of the two that make this band so great!  Next up is 'Itch U Can't Skratch'.  This song is also quite musically interesting.  You have both members rapping.  Once again, the Junior or singing member of the band is prominent on the track.  There's a lot of old school sound in this track as well.  This group really has a specific area of music that's inspired them.  'We R The Handclaps' is up next and like the previous tracks, Junior dominates this one.  The music however, is perfection and this one is enjoyable from start to finish.  It incorporates the music from The Esquires' classic hit, 'Get On Up' and you just can't help shakin' it to this one.  There's no stopping it.  No stopping it.  No stopping.

'I Like Music (W.O.S.B)' is an interesting tune that sounds like something you'd hear from the Jackson Five.  Once again, the focus is on Junior.  I think my biggest problem with the album this far is that it's majorly a one-sided effort.  I'm more interested in the Senior member than Junior so it's hard for me to stay tuned in.  'Ur A Girl' is another Junior track.  And once again, the song has a huge Motown influence all the way through.  From chords to vocal arrangements.  'No No No's' is another carbon copy Motown sounding track.  'Dance, Chance, Romance' here we go again.  'Happy Rap' finally brings Senior back in.  It continues to feature that Motown sound.  It's a little more fun than the rest of the album.

My biggest problem with the album is it sounds more like a Junior solo record than a Junior Senior effort.  The noticeable absence of Senior makes me think the group actually broke up before this record was finished and the Junior side decided to finish the record on their own.  It relies to heavily on a borrowed sound and doesn't really create anything new.  The Senior character brings the most animation to the sound of the group.  Without him, the album is weak and mostly throw away.  

My final words:  A RECORD YOU CAN LIVE WITHOUT, BUT THERE ARE SONGS EVERYONE SHOULD OWN.  DOWNLOAD INDIVIDUAL TRACKS.  DON'T BUY THE DISC.

JUNIOR SENIOR - HEY HEY MY MY YO YO
01. Hello
02. Hip Hop A Lula
03. Can I Get Get Get
04. Take My Time
05. Itch U Can't Skrach
06. We R The Handclaps
07. I Like Music (W.O.S.B)
08. Ur A Girl
09. No No No's
10. Dance, Chance, Romance
11. Happy Rap

No comments:

Post a Comment