Thursday, May 22, 2014

PET SHOP BOYS - DISCO 3

"Disco 3" is the third disc in a series of releases the Pet Shop Boys do.  Each one is called Disco and the number after indicates the number of the release.  To date, I think there are 4 Disco albums.  They're a collection of mixes from previous releases and can also include b-sides or unreleased material.  I'm not sure how much of the material on this album is original and how much is re-released from singles.  I wasn't following them as closely during this period.  But I quite love this release.

The first track, 'Time On My Hands', is unique because it features vocals by Chris Lowe who generally doesn't contribute vocally to their music.  It's reminiscent of the track, 'Paninaro' which also features a rap of sorts performed by Lowe.  It's followed by the PSB version of a song they wrote for a musical they wrote and produced for a limited run in London called, "Closer To Heaven".  The song is 'Positive Role Model' and there are versions on other releases.  Most notable being the cast recording of the musical.  I love this song.  Probably because I find the lyrics hilarious and the idea behind the track quite tongue in cheek.


'Try It (I'm In Love With A Married Man)' is a Bobby Orlando cover and anyone who follows this group knows about their fascination with him as a producer and songwriter.  It's a great cover and is far superior to the original version in my opinion.  It's followed by one of the singles from the previous album, "Release".  'London (Thee Radikal Blaklite Edit)' starts out with a stomping beat and pretty much keeps the pace going throughout the entire song.  It's a pretty good mix.  I have it on another CD.  I bought some singles from this album and I think this remix is on one of them.


Next up is a new song called, 'Somebody Else's Business' and it's by far my favorite track on the disc.  I'm not sure why this song does it for me, but when it's on, I sing along at the top of my lungs.  The narrative of the story is tantalizing and it makes me curious about the origin of the song and who it's about.  Which is sorta funny considering the subject matter.  And I'm the type of person who's always judging others for gossip.  Yet here I am, with my ear to the door wondering who this is about.  


Next up is another "Release" track, 'Here'.  This mix is an extended mix by the Pet Shop Boys and it's ok.  It doesn't add much to the original version.  I think this song in general isn't very exciting though I quite love the sentiment.  And I'm afraid the mix doesn't make it any more exciting for me.  'If Looks Could Kill'...  Wasn't there a James Bond film called that?  If there wasn't, there should've been and this would be the song for it.  Hehehe.  I like this number, though it's a bit subdued.  It's followed by another mix.  This time, the track in question is actually a b-side and the mix is from the single.  'Sexy Northerner' gets the Superchumbo treatment.  This track was featured on the single to 'Home And Dry' and is quite fun.  The mix is distracting rather than accentuating the original version.  This is a song the boys would do better leaving alone.  Some of the b-sides are better off not being mixed and this is one of them.


'Home And Dry', another "Release" single makes an appearance with a remix.  This one starts off rather frantic, but eventually settles down once Neil's vocals kick in.  Although it increases the tempo, it doesn't lose the delicate magic of the original track and that makes this probably the second best mix on the album.  The best being the next and final remix.  'London' is up again with a stripped down piano rendition.  This version really allows Neil's vocals to feature in a magnificent way.  We really get to hear his vocal control and how he manipulates his voice to make each word clear and perfect.  This is not only the best track to end the disc on, it's the best mix on the album.


The Disco CDs can be hard to get into sometimes.  But this one, as a whole is enjoyable to listen to and has just the right balance of mixes, b-sides and newly released material to make it unique.  The value is there, the quality is there...  In fact, the whole package is exactly where it needs to be to make this an essential release for fans.


My final words:  THE BEST DISCO OF THE BUNCH!!!


PET SHOP BOYS - DISCO 3

01. Time On My Hands
02. Positive Role Model
03. Try It (I'm In Love With A Married Man)
04. London (Thee Radikal Blaklite Edit)
05. Somebody Else's Business
06. Here (PSB New Extended Mix)
07. If Looks Could Kill
08. Sexy Northerner (Superchumbo Mix)
09. Home And Dry (Blank & Jones Remix)
10. London (Genuine Piano Mix)

No comments:

Post a Comment