Monday, May 26, 2014

LEVEL 42 - WORLD MACHINE

Level 42 are an English band coming out in the mid 80's.  I didn't know much about them beyond the song they were most famous for in the US.  There was a time during the 90's...  I'd found a used CD store in Las Vegas where I could buy CDs for as little as a dollar.  I used the great selection to beef up my 80's collection.  I looked specifically for songs I loved then and hoped to discover new music from these different bands.  Level 42 was one of those groups.  I picked up this album hoping to discover more songs like 'Something About You'.

What I discovered is a group that had a lot of the pop sensibility of the Stock, Aitken, Waterman production happening all over the UK.  I don't know exactly when SAW started, but if it was after Level 42 came out, I'd say they copied some of the pop styling of this band.  Level 42 started out more jazz oriented and you can still hear the dedication to instrumentation on certain tracks.  

There's a lot to be said for the sensibility of the music appearing on this disc.  The lead singer has a nice voice and the catchier songs are fun to sing along with.  I recognize some of the tracks other than the one big hit from the disc.  For example, 'Leaving Me Now' is a great tune and I've heard it someplace before.  It could very well be a tune I've heard on a soundtrack.

There's a lot happening on this record and the tempo of most of the songs are more in line with R&B, Jazz infused soul and that tropical funk bands like Sade and UB40 were so popular for.  It really verged on Reggae.  However, there's only one song on the disc that really fits in with the popular 80's sound and that's 'Something About You'.  There's some great music on this disc and some of it I want to spend time with before I make a final decision.  Sadly, I wanted to write this review tonight and so it's not going to get the full review I could give it as I will continue to listen to it after I close this post out.

I'm hopeful I'll find more exciting and enticing songs to rave about before long.  In the meantime I'll say my final words:  AN ENJOYABLE, THOUGH SOMEWHAT LACKLUSTER RELEASE BY A POTENTIALLY GREAT BAND!

LEVEL 42 - WORLD MACHINE
01. World Machine
02. Physical Presence
03. Something About You
04. Leaving Me Now
05. I Sleep On My Heart
06. It's Not The Same For Us
07. Dream Crazy
08. Good Man In A Storm
09. Coup D'Etat
10. Lying Still

No comments:

Post a Comment