Wednesday, October 20, 2010

KON KAN - MOVE TO MOVE

I never knew much about Kon Kan when I bought this cassette. I can't even think why I bought it in the first place other than someone mentioned it was a great tape. Since then, I've found it on CD and I paid full price for it when I purchased it at Tower Records in Las Vegas. As I researched the group for this article, I discovered they were a Canadian outfit. I think they're based in Ontario.

Anyway... I really liked certain tracks by this group. Enough to buy it on CD when I found it. At the same time, I've noticed the group relies heavily on musical elements they take from other songs rather than writing original stuff. Some samples are blatant, like Nancy Sinatra's 'These Boots Are Made For Walkin'', Led Zepplin's 'Immigrant Song', Lynn Anderson's '(I Never Promised You A) Rose Garden' and Silver Connection's 'Get Up And Boogie (That's Right)'. They record a sample and play it over their own beats. But some are more subtle. 'I Can't Answer That' revolves so heavily around Cameo's 'Word Up' it's a shock not to hear Larry Blackmon's vocals.

I've never been a huge fan of sampling, but I will say this much for Kon Kan... They usually use the samples to good effect and the result is often enjoyable. I think the band has a solid foundation in beats. Even the songs written without sampling like 'Bite The Bullet', 'Glue & Fire' and 'Move To Move' have exciting rhythm sections. The music is interesting and aggressive enough to be fun even though the lyrics are often weak and generic.

The weak point on the record is the ballad 'Am I In Love'. It's truly a downer on an otherwise carefree dance album. I've read Kon Kan released other records after this one and were active for many years. They're totally defunkt now and I haven't heard anything other than this one shining example. I remember this music fondly from my childhood and strongly recommend it to fans of 80's New Wave/Dance music. What it lacks in lyrical depth and musical originality, it makes up in groovy beats and simple hooks. You might like it if you try it. My final words: GREAT ZONE OUT.


KON KAN - MOVE TO MOVE
01. Arts' In D Minor/Harry Houdini
02. Bite The Bullet
03. Move To Move
04. I Can't Answer That
05. I Beg Your Pardon (I Never Promised You A Rose Garden)
06. Am I In Love
07. Glue & Fire
08. It Doesn't Matter
09. Puss N' Boots/These Boots (Are Made For Walking)
10.
Arts' In D Minor/Harry Houdini (Justin Strauss 12" Remix)

11. I Beg Your Pardon (I Never Promised You A Rose Garden) (12" Remix)

No comments:

Post a Comment