Monday, October 25, 2010

VERNON REID - MISTAKEN IDENTITY

Vernon Reid is the former band leader of late 80's metal band Living Colour. They had a huge hit at the end of the decade with the song, 'Cult Of Personality'. Reid released this solo record later when the band's popularity was starting to wane. I picked it up because ASCAP's website listed the song 'CP Time' as a Prince composition. That being the case, I of course picked it up. What I didn't realize was the song credit is given because the song contains a sample of a song written by Prince.

Here's the breakdown on sampling... And what I consider constitutes actual writing credits... There are two types of sampling that I can think of. I call them A) Incorporation and B) Performance. An Incorporation sample is when an artist takes a song by another artist, bases their own composition on that song or borrows a brief portion of the track to enhance a progression thereby creating an entirely new piece of music. MoKenStef incorporated Prince's 'Do Me, Baby' on their song 'He's Mine' which in my opinion is a legitimate and new Prince composition. By the same token, Danny Elfman incorporated elements of Prince's 'Scandalous' for several tracks on his original Batman Score. The second sample, the Performance is when an artist actually lifts a piece of an original recording and uses that sample as a repeating motif in a new song. The first involves a new performance of a melody or key progression whereas the second is basically stealing of another recording. I'm very anti-Performance sampling. In the case of 'CP Time', it's a Performance sample from an old track by The Time. The re-occurring sample features Morris Day shouting, "What time is it?" over and over. Prince may have written the lyric, but it's Morris Day that's actually being sampled here because his performance is the element being used on the track.

Ok, rant over. Let's discuss the record. So based on faulty information and an erroneous credit to Prince, I bought a record I was sorely disappointed with initially. In fact, the disappointment I felt obscured my judgment of the disc for many years. I finally listened to it all the way through and was in for a rather interesting experience. 'Mistaken Identity' is a fusion jazz record. Reid takes elements of funk, metal, jazz and R&B to create a unique blend of sound. It's not always effective but when it's on, it's really on. The track titles are tongue-n-cheek pop culture references that sometimes deter from the strength of the music. The music itself can often be heavy handed and sound like minor grooves for Reid to solo over with his guitar.

But there are just as many wonderful moments of shiny solid material here. The wispy start of 'Uptown Drifter' is pure mood and carries you along for a beautiful ride. Some excellent guitar playing here. There's the brilliant 'Important Safety Instructions (Mutation 2)'; which gives spiritual instructions on the use and misuse of karma. I find this particular track to be both humorous and amazingly lovely musically. Probably my favorite track on the record is one of the only tracks with a vocal performance. 'Signed Fictitious' is a sparkling track that really highlights an Urban feel. It's amazing!

Despite the energy of the great tracks, 'Mistaken Identity' is often tedious with guitar solos and can often sound more like a mishmash of styles rather than a cohesive piece of music. Irregardless, Reid embraced an interesting and progressive direction by combining such clashing genres. He has the potential to create something really incredible. I need to follow up and see where this leads. Of course, I've probably missed the best of it. But I've certainly enjoyed what I've heard. The best thing to say can be summed up by my final words: MUSIC SOUP.


VERNON REID - MISTAKEN IDENTITY
01.
CP Time

02. Mistaken Identity
03. You Say He's Just A Psychic Friend
04. Who Are You? (Mutation 1)
05. Lightnin'
06. The Projects
07. Uptown Drifter
08. Saint Cobain
09. Important Safety Instructions! (Mutation 2)
10. What's My Name
11. Signed Fictitious
12. Call Waiting To Exhale (Mutation 3)
13. My Last Nerve
14. Freshwater Coconut
15. Mysterious Power
16. Unborne Embrace

No comments:

Post a Comment