Wednesday, October 27, 2010

ALISON KRAUSS AND UNION STATION - LONELY RUNS BOTH WAYS

Alison Krauss is one of those few artists I'm drawn to as a vocalist. She has an angelic quality to her voice I find extremely appealing. Her older material lacks the hushed, softer tone of her more recent stuff. You can tell she found her own style as a singer. She sings with a soft and easy lilt. That peaceful vibrato is endearing. You can't help but be embraced by her vocals. Her band is wonderful when it comes to arranging music. They have a backwoods sound that works well with contemporary standards.

On this album, she's in full force with her established vocal stylings. The opening track is lovely and makes me think of my own life before moving back to Utah. It's about a wandering soul who is out to experience the world. The lyric tells us he/she will only settle down when they stop building roads and all God needs is 'Gravity' to hold them down. 'Restless', the second track, is also pretty, but doesn't have the same hook as the first number.


The third cut is another story altogether. There's a lot to be said for Krauss in that she tries to make her records a group effort. She loves her band and I think she finds them interesting as artists. To this end, she often fills her cds with cuts highlighting one of her band member as lead vocalist or they do instrumental cuts giving the band time to showcase their skills as musicians. The instrumental and non-Alison vocal tracks are usually more standard bluegrass fare. It has a twangy country sound. Although that's fine for what it is, I often feel like it distracts from what I'm actually wanting to hear. I usually skip through those tracks. 'Rain Please Go Away' is one of those numbers. It features one of her band members, Dan Tyminski, on vocals. I don't like his voice at all. In fact, I find the song in general quite irritating. Dan takes over singing lead on 'Pastures Of Plenty' and 'This Sad Song'. 'Pastures Of Plenty' was written by folk legend, Woody Guthrie and 'This Sad Song' is actually an Alison Krauss composition. It's the first song I've seen her take a writing credit on. Later in
the disc, another band member, Ron Block takes over lead vocals for his song, 'I Don't Have To Live This Way'.

You get a hoedown with 'Unionhouse Branch'. An instrumental roughhouse with her band members written by Jerry Douglas. The rest of the tunes, even the normally lackluster numbers, become transformed by the sweet sound of Alison's lovely voice. 'My Poor Old Heart' is an exceptional song.

"I don't know that I will ever trust again.
It's a price that I must pay for all my sins.
Time has changed me and left me full of doubt.
And my heart may be lost, never to be found."

It speaks so clearly to anyone who's ever suffered from heartbreak. 'Doesn't Have To Be This Way' is another beautiful song. I love the opening line. It's about loving an inspired soul who is constantly searching; never satisfied. 'If I Didn't Know Any Better' is another amazing track made even more
spectacular by her voice.

She has the ability to sing sad songs and express the pain so realistically. You can actually feel the emotional struggle. For song writers who hope to find some expression in their work, Alison is a vocalist who can deliver that drama. She devotes herself to lyrical tragedy more fully than anyone I've ever heard.

This is a great effort. It's dragged down by the band numbers lacking her vocals and the instrumental bluegrass. Alison should really stick to doing what has made her famous... Singing adult contemporary music in her unique laid back style. Regardless of it's origin - country, pop or even R&B - Krauss and company transform every song they though into their distinctive sound and give it royal treatment. My final words: SO CLOSE TO HEAVEN.


ALISON KRAUSS AND UNION STATION - LONELY RUNS BOTH WAYS
01. Gravity
02. Restless
03. Rain Please Go Away
04. Goodbye Is All We Have
05. Unionhouse Branch
06. Wouldn't Be So Bad
07. Pastures Of Plenty
08. Crazy As Me
09. Borderline
10. My Poor Old Heart
11. This Sad Song
12. Doesn't Have To Be This Way
13. I Don't Have To Live This Way
14. If I Didn't Know Any Better
15. A Living Prayer

No comments:

Post a Comment