Monday, June 20, 2016

VANDAVEER - THE WILD MERCURY

Vandaveer is a folk rock group from the DC area via Kentucky.  This record is the newest release from the band and I had the pleasure of seeing this group perform in a rather intimate setting.  I saw a living room show.  It was dramatic and amazing.

Stripped down to some simple acoustic arrangements, the performance was mesmerizing and more than I ever thought it would be.  I absolutely loved watching this soulful poet sing and play his guitar with his group accompanying him.  It was a heavenly experience.  One I hope to repeat again in the near future.

I'm aware of the band enough to be familiar with their music and I have to say, this new album is somewhat quieter than previous efforts.  It seems more comfortable and relaxed.

I'm still digesting this record.  Vandaveer is one band with some seriously complex lyrics and some tricky vocal arrangements allowing them to play with the ideas and concepts they're trying to convey with new dimension and vocal inflection.  Thus far, I love the disc and I usually just put it in and let it play.  I like some songs more than others, but not to the extent I would say any of the tracks on the disc aren't enjoyable.  I like every single cut on this record enough to consider the entire disc a hit.  They really did a great job on this one.  It's absolutely delightful.

For those of you who aren't in the know, Vandaveer have two vocalists.  Mark Weidinger and Rose Guerin.  They harmonize together on the songs.  Weidinger takes the lead and sings solo bits without Guerin, but when she joins him, the sound their voices create is something unearthly and emotive.  You can't help but feel the songs washing over you like warm water.  It feels both relaxing and thoughtful at the same time.

I will say this record has more of a country vibe to it than previous efforts, but it's a most satisfying listen.  Weidinger actually reminds me of a more clear and melodic Bob Dylan.  He also demonstrates a preoccupation with life and death.  But not in a morbid way.  Rather, he spends his time wondering about the minutes and hours in between birth and death.  How we fill our time and what we choose to focus our energy on.  His musings are challenging, thought provoking.  He's a thinking man's Dylan.

I can't say enough about this lovely piece of music.  All I can do is suggest you pick it up and if you get the chance, see this incredible band live.  They are, for lack of a better word, enchanting.

My final words:  SPELLBINDING MUSIC AS ELUSIVE AND MYSTICAL AS WILD MERCURY.  BUY IT!!!

VANDAVEER - THE WILD MERCURY
01. But Enough On That For Now
02. A Little Time Off Ahead
03. The Wild Mercury
04. A Little Worse For The Wear
05. Holding Patterns
06. Love Is Melancholy, But It's All We've Got
07. To Be Young, To Belong
08. The Final Word
09. Absolutely Over The Moon
10. A Pretty Thin Line

No comments:

Post a Comment