Thursday, June 2, 2016

PET SHOP BOYS - NIGHTLIFE EXTRA

I bought my version of "Nightlife" when it came out and I got the limited edition with the bonus tracks.  If I'm not mistaken, "Very" was the first album they started releasing a limited edition version.  You could buy "Very" by itself or with the bonus disc.  The release with the bonus disc was called "Very Relentless".  My version of "Nightlife" is actually called "Nightlife Extra".  I remember I bought it in Asheville, NC.  It was in a part of town I normally didn't spend a lot of time in and I think that was the only time I went to that CD store.  Otherwise, I didn't do a lot of CD shopping while I lived there.

From what I've learned since this album came out, there was a lot of build up to "Nightlife".  They were writing and producing a play called "Closer To Heaven" and some of that material shows up on this set.  This was a highly anticipated record and yet at the time, I had no clue it even existed before I saw it in the store.  I missed out on the hype.

I love the music PSB did in the 80's.  I think it's great!  And quite honestly, although I didn't always start out liking the music they did in the 90's, but I eventually came around and to this day, some of that music is my favorite by them.  That's kinda how I initially viewed "Nightlife" when I listened to it for the first time.  I remember thinking it would be better after repeated listening.  However, unlike "Bilingual" or "Very", "Nightlife" never grew on me.

On their own, the songs on this album are OK.  I don't consider them strong classics, but they're fine for what they are.  Most of the material sounds to me like a transitional phase the duo were going through.  Like they were trying to distinguish between songs you'd write for theater and songs you'd put on a pop album.  They've always had a knack for writing some off the wall bits here and there like 'Your Funny Uncle', but they've never filled an entire album with it.  I like most of the songs, but I'm not excited about any of them.  

'Vampires' is one song I sometimes come back to.  I like the tune even though I think the lyrics are a bit too sad.  Like they were chasing after a trend, trying to capitalize on the interest in vampires at that moment in time.  That doesn't stop me from singing along and finding the whole thing rather catchy even though I feel foolish about the words I'm vocalizing.  On the other hand, 'Happiness Is An Option' is a song I think is lyrically quite amazing and positive.  I highly subscribe to the philosophy set forth in this small, unorthodox tune.  'Radiophonic' is another track I think is noteworthy.  Of course I have the singles from the album are pretty good and some of the mixes on the singles are great.  But I'll save those for when I review them.

The second disc is actually a better choice for me when it comes to material.  Right off the bat you have 'The Ghost Of Myself' which I absolutely love.  The single b-sides, 'Casting A Shadow', 'Je T'aime...Moi Non Plus', 'Silver Age' and 'Screaming' are all highlights for me and with the exception of 'Silver Age', I think they're stronger than the album tracks they support.

Of the mixes that also appear on the Extra disc, I love the mixes for 'I Don't Know What You Want But I Can't Give It Any More' and I like a couple of the 'New York City Boy' mixes.  So the Extra disc is definitely the stronger of the two for me.  I enjoy it quite a bit.

I don't have much more to say for this album.  I wish I was more impressed with the material and I really wanted to like it.  I could say maybe one day I'll pick it up and realize what a masterpiece it is like I did with "Bilingual", but I don't see that happening.

For me, this album sorta broke a fan spree I was on with PSB.  I stopped picking up singles and waited to buy subsequent albums instead of rushing right out.  It's a shame really.  Still, I'm happy this record exists and I think my limited edition packaging is super cool.  It's worth having!

My final words on "Nightlife":  LIMITED EDITION IS THE ONLY WAY TO GO WITH THIS ONE FOLKS.  SKIP THE SINGLE DISC.

PET SHOP BOYS - NIGHTLIFE EXTRA
01. For Your Own Good
02. Closer To Heaven
03. I Don't Know What You Want But I Can't Give It Any More
04. Happiness Is An Option
05. You Only Tell Me You Love Me When You're Drunk
06. Vampires
07. Radiophonic
08. The Only One
09. Boy Strange
10. In Denial
11. New York City Boy
12. Footsteps

BONUS CD
01. The Ghost Of Myself
02. Casting A Shadow
03. Je T'aime... Moi Non Plus
04. Silver Age
05. Screaming
06. I Don't Know What You Want But I Can't Give It Any More (The Morales Remix)
07. I Don't Know What You Want But I Can't Give It Any More (Thee Maddkatt Courtship 80 Witness Mix)
08. New York City Boy (The Superchumbo Uptown Mix)
09. New York City Boy (The Almighty Definitive Mix)
10. New York City Boy (The Thunderpuss 2000 Club Mix)
11. New York City Boy (The Lange Mix)

No comments:

Post a Comment