Friday, February 5, 2010

INGRID CHAVEZ - A FLUTTER AND SOME WORDS

This will be different in some ways. I'll be writing a review of an album I just got and am hearing for the first time.  Here's my initial impression... The most dramatic difference between this record and my other Ingrid cd is the amount of singing. It's a huge departure from her previous disc. Ingrid is probably most famous for the song she wrote for Madonna. She wasn't given a writing credit and later sued in court for compensation for her work. The song was 'Justify My Love'. This track is a typical representation of the kind of work Ingrid does. She recites her poetry over music. It's a unique sort of rapping. One I personally find beautiful. Her first album was amazing!

My exposure to Ingrid began when she appeared opposite Prince in the movie 'Graffiti Bridge'. She later released 'May 19, 1992' on Prince's Paisley Park label. It was genius material. And another example of how progressive and artistic a label Paisley Park could be. She failed to gain Top 40 recognition with her first effort, but I was hooked. I'm a sucker for poetry and she's an incredible poet. She's beautiful with words.

This disc is completely different from 'May 19, 1992' in other ways as well. While her freshman effort focused on love and other popular sentiments, this time she's distracted by other more esoteric concerns. There's a huge preoccupation with nature and weather. She celebrates the beauty of the natural world and how interconnected nature is with human life. The instrumentation is more subdued and lacks the heavy drum and bass sound of Prince. It feels more authentic and genuine.

I've really enjoyed everything I've heard so far. Thus far, my favorite tracks have been 'The First Darshan (Song For Ameera)', 'Back Roads', 'Tightrope' and 'By The Water'. Still, I'd be remiss if I didn't point out, the entire album is quite satisfying. As much as the first was. I'm even more committed to Ingrid now.

For those of you who know Ingrid's work, you'll look forward to hearing something new. You won't be disappointed. For those of you who don't... Check her out. It's worth the time and effort.
My final word: ETHEREAL.


INGRID CHAVEZ - A FLUTTER AND SOME WORDS
01. Wing Of A Bird
02. Mine
03. Exhale
04. A Flutter And Some Words
05. The First Darphan (Song For Ameera)
06. Back Roads
07. By The Water
08. Path Of Rain
09. Returning To Seed
10. Tightrope
11. No Goodbyes
12. Terrible Woman
13. Isobel
14. A Flutter Coda

No comments:

Post a Comment