Tuesday, February 2, 2010

THE DARKNESS - PERMISSION TO LAND

I remember watching 'Bridget Jones The Edge Of Reason' and seeing the man fight between Colin Firth and Hugh Grant. 'I Believe In A Thing Called Love' was playing in the background and I absolutely loved the song. Loved it. One day, while surfing youtube, I came across the video and became convinced this band was one of the most outrageous in current history. Shortly afterward, I bought the cd. Justin Hawkins sounds like a cross between Robert Plant and Robert Smith. Just listen to 'Friday Night'. It's a combination of 70s hard rock/80s hair band theatrics and looks/90s alternative punk feel. There's a new breed of Rock 'n' Roller out there. I'm seeing other groups with a similar sound taking classic tired sounds and updating them to create something new and interesting.

Stand out tracks on this disc include 'I Believe In A Thing Called Love', 'Stuck In A Rut', 'Friday Night' and 'Growing On Me'. For a jolly good time, listen to this cd in the company of friends!

As I hear more from this group, I'll flesh out my opinion and hopefully have some history to share. In the meantime, enjoy! My final word: HOPEFUL.


THE DARKNESS - PERMISSION TO LAND
01. Black Shuck
02. Get Your Hands Off My Woman
03. Growing On Me
04. I Believe In A Thing Called Love
05. Love Is Only A Feeling
06. Givin' Up
07. Stuck In A Rut
08. Friday Night
09. Love On The Rocks With No Ice
10. Holding My Own

No comments:

Post a Comment