Wednesday, February 24, 2010

EARTH, WIND & FIRE - MILLENNIUM

Even though Earth, Wind & Fire are a famous band from the 70s, I've never really listened to them. I certainly have some affection for 70s funk bands, but this one never caught my attention. My main reason for picking up this disc is of course my obsessive pursuit of Prince songs. He contributed one track to this album. I later learned 'Super Hero' was actually used by The Steeles on the "Blankman" soundtrack. I believe this track is therefore considered a cover. At the time I was under the impression it was the only existing recording of the song. In comparison, this is the superior cut of the two versions. It's a sparse arrangement whereas The Steeles' version seems overproduced and cluttered.

I'd like to say this disc inspired me to buy more Earth, Wind & Fire material, but the exact opposite is true. I find the album tedious in a generic way. There's nothing that really stands out and grabs me. I find certain tracks somewhat interesting, but they're hardly worth the price. I keep reading about Maurice White and how important a producer/songwriter he is; yet if this work is any indication of his ability, I'm left wondering what the attraction is. Maybe is a generational thing. I'm too young to appreciate what's happening here. But my overall impression is extremely strong. I feel like I'm listening to a band that hit its stride and is now churning out retired music.

There seems to be a list of well known, respected songwriters working here to create a hit record, but the collection falls short and for the most part lacks strong efforts by various names like Philip Bailey, Frankie Blue, But Bacharach, Michael and Linda Stokes... The packaging promised something iconic, but the contents fail to deliver.

You expect something groundbreaking or more representative of the band's history and hits. What you get is bland, run of the mill pop. 'Super Hero' is the singular exception here. It's one of Prince's better tunes from the early 90s. I think Prince would have done the band a big favor by donating more tunes to this lackluster project and punching it up a couple notches. With dismal track after track of throwaway tunes, 'Millennium' needs a vital infusion of contemporary funk.

Of course these days you can download the single track and avoid the filler material entirely. I recommend saving the money unless you find it used for a couple bucks. 'Super Hero' is at least worth that.
My final words: MILLENNIAL BOMB.


EARTH, WIND & FIRE - MILLENNIUM
01. Even If You Wonder
02. Sunday Morning
03. Blood Brothers
04. Kalimba Interlude
05. Spend The Night
06. Divine
07. Two Hearts
08. Honor The Magic
09. Love Is The Greatest Story
10. The "L" Word
11. Just Another Lonely Night
12. Super Hero
13. Wouldn't Change A Thing About You
14. Love Across The Wire
15. Chicago (Chi-Town) Blues
16. Kalimba Blues

No comments:

Post a Comment