Monday, February 1, 2010

BOYKRAZY - BOYKRAZY

I know what you're thinking... WTF???? Truth is, when I bought this disc I was talking to a friend who was trying to sell me on Stock, Aitken & Waterman productions. I guess they're some of the most successful pop music producers in the history of British music. And the range of acts they've produced is overwhelming. I was surprised to see some of my favorite 80s bands had worked with them.

In the spirit of trying new things, I agreed to listen to a compilation of their work. He sent me a tape and I liked what I heard. That's why when I saw this disc in the used bin for only $2, I picked it up. I think I was shocked to hear the first song on the record. It had some radio airplay and was somewhat popular. But I discovered what was to be the downfall of my appreciation for Stock, Aitken & Waterman... No matter the tight arrangements and flawless production work, everything sounds the same. It's like listening to 50 groups all sounding like Wilson Phillips. I listened to the disc again to see if my first impression had changed since my initial listen and I'm convinced again I was right... The first song is wonderful, but the rest all sound like generic period pop. Disappointing is a hardly appropriate word here, because there never was a favorable opinion for them to live up to. I think on a song by song basis, these producers and their artists can produce great one off hits perfect for house and club remixing. But any band putting out an album with one hit and then a disc full of filler material.... Just doesn't deserve to survive. I don't know what happened to Stock, Aitken & Waterman or the members of Boykrazy for that matter, but obscurity waits for fluff acts that fail to inspire. I'm not even sure the one track on this disc I like it worth keeping. I'll give this disc away to anyone who writes and requests it. You pay shipping of course. My final word: BORING.


BOYKRAZY - BOYKRAZY
01. That's What Love Can Do
02. That Kinda Love
03. On A Wing And A Prayer
04. Different Class
05. Good Times With Bad Boys
06. Just Like A Dream Come True
07. Love Is A Freaky Thing
08. All You Have To Do
09. One Thing Leads To Another
10. Who Could Ask For Anything More

No comments:

Post a Comment