Monday, October 10, 2016

PRINCE & 3RDEYEGIRL - PLECTRUMELECTRUM

"Plectrumelectrum" was the second of two discs Prince released in 2014.  The first was a solo record and this album is supposed to be a band collaboration between him and his dream band, 3rdeyegirl.  Although between the two, I prefer "Art Official Age", the solo record, this disc is also exciting.  Some of the material is a bit standard fare for Prince.  Especially when it comes to rock numbers.  Still, I enjoy the disc and usually let it play through without skipping; except for one track.

The disc starts off with 'Wow' and I have to comment on this song because I think it's such a unique and interesting idea.  About a year before this record was released, NPG backup singer, Liv Warfield released a solo record called, "The Unexpected".  The title track was written by Prince and there's a line in the chorus that goes, "U can call it the Unexpected...  Or u can call it: Wow!"  And he meant that literally.  'The Unexpected' from the Liv Warfield album is the same song as the one you hear here except Prince performs it instead of Warfield.  And he calls it 'Wow'.  I love this track!  Of the two versions, I prefer this one.  Still, Warfield's version is also full of soul and rocks like crazy!

Now this isn't the only song that appears in a couple different places.  In fact, there are actually four songs on this record that are "covers" because they didn't originate here.  One of them is the title track 'Plectrumelectrum'.  This is the one song on the record I find completely skippable.  Written by Donna Grantis and previously released on one of her solo records as 'Elektra', it's a bluesy rock instrumental.  It's ok, but in my mind, it doesn't fit the rest of the album and I don't like it mixed in with this batch of songs.  I think it would've been better suited to an instrumental album.

Another one of the covers is from a singer named Alice Smith.  She released a song called 'Another Love'.  It's a strange piece.  It's certainly innovative and you gotta give her credit for her unusual style and approach to music.  However, in this case, I think what Prince does with the song is so much better than the original version.  Prince remakes her song, changes the lyrics and completely redoes it his own way.  And it sounds phenomenal.  I absolutely love it.  It could very well be my favorite track.  This one is tricky because Prince didn't write the song, but his interpretation of it is such that he could merit a writing credit for the additional music and lyrics.  Yeah, this track is conflicting for me.

The final cover track is 'Funknroll'.  I know what you're going to say...  It was simultaneously on "Art Official Age" at the same time.  And though that is true, I consider the "Art Official Age" to be the first release by Prince and this to be the second.  But I might be wrong.  Anyway, even if it's not a cover, it's appearing on two records like the other tracks.  This version is more band oriented and believe it or not, I actually like it more than the "Art Official Age" version.  The song by its nature is a band song.  It's written for parts and sounds more authentic and genuine played as such.

Band members also take over vocals on a couple tracks.  Hannah steps in and sings 'Whitecaps'.  It's a lovely tune and I enjoy it a lot.

Let's get right to the nitty-gritty...  There's a lot of songs I really love on this record.  Starting with 'Fixurlifeup'!  I first heard a live version of this song and the raw energy I felt for it was incredible.  The studio version doesn't disappoint.  It still sounds like a band performance and the energy is still present.  Both 'Stopthistrain' and 'Tictactoe' are smaller songs that seem to get lost in the hugeness of the record and yet, on their own, both are very insightful, charming and wonderful.   I think 'Boytrouble' is a cute song, but to me, it's also a throwaway tune and hardly worth the effort.

'Marz' is the only other track I haven't discussed and I like it, but like 'Boytrouble', it's a bit of a throwaway for me.  I lump it into the same rock oriented category I throw tunes like 'Peach' and 'Guitar' into.  He could write these all day and not break a sweat.

In the end, I really like the record.  I never got on board with the whole 3rdeyegirl idea.  I remember him saying in an interview that one day he wanted an all girl band and with this group, he achieved that.  But he also makes the same mistake with this band he often makes with others.  Prince mistakenly believes the musicians he surrounds himself with are as interesting and exciting as he is.  And that's just not true.  Back with The Revolution it might have been true because we had "Purple Rain" the movie and other ways of knowing the band that allowed the fans access to them.  The mythology he was creating around himself and his music strongly involved those he was working with.  It stayed strong through the Lovesexy band at which point I think most people started ignoring the hype.  His success in creating celebrity for his band members afterward is hard to measure.  In some cases, he did it...  But in most, he didn't.

I think over time they might have evolved 3rdeyegirl into something else, but from where it stands today, I don't really see it as more than a hyped up back up band.  I have little interest in them beyond the work they did with him.

Still, you never know.  3rdeyegirl shared vocals and there might be enough material in the vault that they could release and tour as a band.  Maybe I'll like them then.  Who can say.  My final words:  ANOTHER STRONG RECORD FROM THE MAGICAL MIND OF PRINCE!

PRINCE & 3RDEYEGIRL - PLECTRUMELECTRUM
01. Wow
02. Pretzelbodylogic
03. Aintturninaround
04. Plectrumelectrum
05. Whitecaps
06. Fixurlifeup
07. Boytrouble
08. Stopthistrain
09. Anotherlove
10. Tictactoe
11. Marz
12. Funknroll

No comments:

Post a Comment