Friday, October 7, 2016

JACK OFF JILL - COVETOUS CREATURE

Jack Of Jill is a band I discovered at a Lords Of Acid concert in Las Vegas.  They were the opening act.  I thought they put on an amazing show and I bought their CD at the concert.  A few months later, I found this CD at Tower Records and picked it up.  "Covetous Creature" is a remix EP.  It contains tracks from the original album in mix form and features mixes by Morphic Field, Lords Of Acid, Synical, Switchblade Symphony and POD.

My favorite JOJ song is 'My Cat' and along with 'Poor Impulse Control', it gets two mixes.  The first is by Synical; who also mixes two other tracks on this EP.  The second is by the Lords Of Acid.  The first mix is a rock version of the song that remains true to the core track with all of the vocals included.  The LOA remix is mostly instrumental.  It starts off quiet, builds to loud and then subsides into nothing again.  Very simple mix, but it's certainly danceable.  

'Poor Impulse Control' is the other track with two mixes.  The first is by Synical and again, remains mostly true to the original version with all vocals included.  Track 7 is the other mix by Morphic Field and it's a strange mix.  It uses Jungle beats with Trance synth lines to generate the mix.  I'm not sure I find it particularly effective.  It just sounds strange.

Switchblade Symphony mixes 'Girlscout' and transforms it into an almost greaser version of a Vegas lounge act.  The vocal distortion was popular at the time thought a bit annoying.  'Cumdumpster' remix is by JOJ's own Agent Moulder and Synical.  I gotta tell you, of all the mixes, this is actually my favorite of all the mixes.

Jack Of Jill is a group I really enjoy live and I'd be interested to find out if they were still together.  This was some great music during the 90s.  My final words:  A STRANGE AND DISJOINTED BUT FUN REMIX EP!

JACK OFF JILL - COVETOUS CREATURE
01. American Made (Tweaker Remix)
02. My Cat (Meow Mix)
03. Poor Impulse Control (No Control Mix)
04. Girlscout (Sunday Mix)
05. Cumdumpster (Delusional Cannibal Mix)
06. My Cat (Automatic Speed Mix)
07 Poor Impulse Control (750 Degrees Of Separation Mix)

No comments:

Post a Comment