Monday, October 3, 2016

DEVO - GREATEST HITS

More than any other band, Devo typifies the New Wave sound of the 80's.  Synth driven, simple musical motifs, futuristic lyrics and bizarre costuming all add up to make Devo a shining example of everything we loved about 80's electronic music.  The embracing of technology and strange fashion also helped their image as rebels.

In essence, Devo was the nightmare of an aging generation who couldn't figure out how to program their VCRs.  Their approach to music was somewhere between the robotic industrial sounds of Kraftwerk and the driving energy of the Sex Pistols.  It's hard to imagine hearing soulful vocals in such sterile music, and yet somehow, Devo could convey a sense of organic progression in their songs.

I'm always skeptical when bands release greatest hits packages.  Usually, the compilation is made up of their single releases.  And that's highly questionable as to whether or not all of the tracks were hits.  Devo have a number of songs they are strongly associated with.  Songs that are iconic.  'Whip It', 'Jocko Homo' and 'Through Being Cool' are examples of these tunes.  They were also popular for their covers of other classic tunes like '(I Can't Get No) Satisfaction' by The Rolling Stones.  With so much of this music present I will agree this is a greatest hits package.  The likes of which I prefer to see.

As cool as I've thought Devo was, I've never owned a lot of their material.  I have the odd album here and there but I didn't buy everything they put out.  Still, I quite like what they do and I'm intrigued by their music.  They're a group I always meant to buy but never did.

And that's part of the reason I picked up this disc.  When I found it, I knew I'd have all the songs I loved in one collection.  The downside is I'm not hearing the additional music from the albums.  For example, the very first track, 'Here To Go' is from "Shout" and my favorite song on this record is the Jimi Hendrix cover, 'Are You Experienced?'  I've always thought it was brilliant.  That's the other downside to compilations.  You miss all of the other stuff.

Still, I'm happy with this purchase and I look forward to a time when I can experience Devo more fully.  My final words:  AN EXCELLENT REPRESENTATION OF THIS BAND'S BODY OF WORK!

DEVO - GREATEST HITS
01. Here To Go (Go Mix Version)
02. Through Being Cool
03. Big Mess
04. That's Good
05. Jerkin' Back 'N' Forth
06. Peek-A-Boo!
07. Beautiful World
08. (I Can't Get No) Satisfaction
09. Whip It
10. Girl U Want
11. Freedom Of Choice
12. Smart Patrol/Mr. DNA
13. Gut Feeling
14. Gates Of Steel
15. Working In The Coalmine
16. Jocko Homo

No comments:

Post a Comment