Tuesday, April 22, 2014

ERASURE - OTHER PEOPLE'S SONGS

Ok, this one is complicated.  I'm not a huge fan of covers and Erasure made an entire album FULL of them.  I might've skipped the disc entirely, but I was invited to this tour and it was the first time I was seeing them in concert.  So, I picked up the CD in preparation for the show.

Musically, the sound is typical Vince Clarke circa that time period.  He makes the songs much more exciting than the original versions.  But he's not a miracle worker and even though Vince and Andy may like these songs, I'm not partial to most of them.  Not even Erasure versions make them worth hearing.  At least in my opinion.

'Solsbury Hill' is a Peter Gabriel cover and this is probably my favorite track on the whole disc.  I like his version and I like theirs.  It's followed by 'Everybody's Got To Learn Sometime'.  The original version is by a group called The Korgis.  I'm not familiar with this group.  I don't know anything about them, but I have heard other versions of this song.  Erasure's is subdued and rather quiet.  I'm not sure it brings anything to the album.  I don't hate it, but I'm not rushing to play it either.  'Make Me Smile (Come Up And See Me)' actually sounds like something Erasure would write themselves and Andy's vocals make the track his.  It's not a bad tune.  In fact, it's quite enjoyable.

Buddy Holly is represented twice on this disc and 'Everyday' is the first of these two tracks.  Although Erasure have covered some classic rock tunes in the past; and done so quite successfully, this one seems a bit lackluster and never moves beyond a light shake and maybe a toe tap or two.  Next up is a cover of The Three Degrees big hit, 'When Will I See You Again'.  The music is upbeat and Andy delivers a credible version of this classic.  It's followed by The Ronettes 'Walking In The Rain'.  This is the third Phil Spector composition they've covered.  I've always thought it was a rather strange song and the version here does nothing to change my mind.

'True Love Ways' is the second Buddy Holly track and it has a simple rocking swing that's delicate and sweet.  The arrangement is quiet and showcases Andy's vocals.  He's right on target here, folks.  Those crooning ballads of the 50's sound wonderful under Andy's careful renditions.  Despite originally thinking this was a waste of time, I actually love this number and I've pulled the disc out a few times just to hear it.  Probably because I enjoy hearing Andy sing it.  The Righteous Brothers get a nod with 'Ebb Tide'.  I've never liked their sound, but this track sounds like it would fit on "Loveboat" and the deeper drum track saves it from slipping into complete obscurity.

What classic covers album would be complete without an Elvis Presley tune?  'I Can't Help Falling In Love' is a Presley staple.  Vince and Andy offer a passable version.  But it's nothing to get excited about.  'You've Lost That Lovin' Feelin'' has the distinction of being a doubleheader.  It's the second Phil Spector track and the second Righteous Brothers cover.  It's a boring song and it goes nowhere here.

If I had some input on this disc, I might've switched the last two tracks and put 'Goodnight' at the end.  It is, after all, a parting of sorts.  I've never heard it before and I don't even know the artist it's taken from.  It's similar to other tracks Erasure have done in the past and it has the distinct feel of a "Chorus" outtake.  It wouldn't surprise me if it was recorded during those sessions.  The final number is a Buggles cover.  'Video Killed The Radio Star' was a huge MTV hit and it's a great 80's song.  Erasure pay homage in grand form.  They're a product of the 80's and I think Clarke's musical quirks, beeps, blips and burps are perfect for this delightful number.  It's performed in a more reserved manner than the original; but it's bubbly fun from start to finish.

This really is a complex album to review because I can't rant and rave about it as much as I'd love to.  I have great respect for both Andy Bell and Vince Clarke.  As a musician, I think Vince Clarke is a singular vision.  He understands the binary code of modern music more than any other artist out there.  He's completely ahead of his time.  And Andy has the soulful voice of a Diva!  But the quality of the music they've selected to cover isn't nearly as interesting or accomplished as they are.  

I feel a little disappointed.  I CAN say the show was absolutely amazing and I'm so grateful I got the chance to go.  It was a magical evening and it happened during a time in my life when I was very happy.

My final words today are:  A SKIP-ABLE DISC FROM A LEGENDARY DUO.  :-(

ERASURE - OTHER PEOPLE'S SONGS
01. Solsbury Hill
02. Everybody's Got To Learn Sometime
03. Make Me Smile (Come Up And See Me)
04. Everyday
05. When Will I See You Again
06. Walking In The Rain
07. True Love Ways
08. Ebb Tide
09. Can't Help Falling In Love
10. You've Lost That Lovin' Feelin'
11. Goodnight
12. Video Killed The Radio Star 

No comments:

Post a Comment