Sunday, April 20, 2014

ELECTRIC SIX - ZODIAC

The first time I saw Electric Six play live, it was in support of this CD.  I bought the disc at the show and I listened to it for the first time driving home from the show.  They played some of the songs live that night and they were new tracks for me.  I loved every second of the show.  

Truthfully, the first time I heard the disc, I wasn't partial to it.  But over time, it's become one of my favorite discs.  There are so many strong songs on the record.  I think the reason it took awhile to grow on me is for exactly the reason Dick Valentine suggests in various interviews.  Each song represents a sign of the Zodiac and as each sign is assigned different qualities and attributes, so indeed do the tracks on this disc possess a variety of musical styles and sounds.

It's a wild ride.  Without a doubt.

There are two additional internet tracks I'm including in my review.  One was a bonus track included only with the iTunes purchase and the second was a demo track the band posted online for their fans.  The demo cut was intended for the album, but was left off.  Sadly, because it's one of the strongest numbers recorded for this project.

The first track is 'After Hours'.  Every album has an opening track that's very similar.  They're all rock oriented and aggressive.  These songs are often used as the opening songs in the live performance and sometimes rotate between shows.  I've had the pleasure of seeing this song performed a few times and every single time, it's been an absolute joy.  I dismissed it at first.  Until I caught myself singing it under my breath while I worked or humming it as I drove.  This is an incredible song and there's a quality about it (probably the strong piano track), that makes me think of Elton John.

Next up is 'American Cheese'.  A rock n' roll track for sure, it continues the Americana of the album thus far and benefits from a complicated musical arrangement.  There's a rush to the song.  A need to push forward.  Much like February, a month that is almost always in a hurry, this track moves quickly to completion.  It's followed by one of my all time favorite E6 tracks...  'Clusterfuck!'  There's no way to describe this one other than to say from the outset, it hits a groove you can't escape.  It rocks you like a lover and delivers a sonic brain pounding unlike any other.  This is one I sing along to at the top of my lungs!  And it's awesome live.

'Countdown To The Countdown' is the 4th rocking track on the disc and thus far, everything's been coming on like a Mac Truck until 'Doom And Gloom And Doom And Gloom'.  Although not a show stopper or a bottom dropper, this track definitely slows the pace of the record somewhat.  After it, you're not quite sure where the album will go but 'Jam It In The Hole' brings the tempo back up and sets you right back rocking your socks off.  This is another popular live track.

'I Am A Song!' has a more traditional pop flare and even features some doo wop singing towards the end.  It's followed up by another track I consider a favorite, 'It Ain't Punk Rock'.  As nonsensical as this song can be, it's also one of my favorite so sing along with and party down to.  I absolutely love this number.

'Love Song For Myself' sounds almost like something Evil Cowards would do.  It's got all the techno bells and whistles they're famous for and are sometimes featured heavily in other E6 songs.  Here, it keeps the tempo but adds a techno twist that's highly enjoyable.  It's followed by 'The Rubberband Man'.  It's a cover of a track done by The Spinners and although the song is almost note for note a direct cover of the original, Electric Six make it more interesting, more fun and more entertaining.  Highly recommend listening to this track a few times.  It's fun!

'Table And Chairs' is an interesting number but probably my least favorite on the album.  I'm much more partial to the final track, 'Talking Turkey'.  It's another strong track and one I absolutely love.

The final two internet tracks are 'I Can Translate' and 'Typical Sagittarius'.  This song has a strong Tait Nucleus influence and it sorta describes the direction the album was supposed to go.  It's very techno and seems to be another Evil Cowards outtake.  You can still find it online on youtube.  

Ultimately, Zodiac is another masterpiece disc from E6 and is quite enjoyable from start to finish.  My final words:  ALL SIGNS POINT TO ZODIAC BEING IN YOUR HOUSE TONIGHT!  BUY IT NOW!

ELECTRIC SIX - ZODIAC
01. After Hours
02. American Cheese
03. Clusterfuck!
04. Countdown To The Countdown
05. Doom And Gloom And Doom And Gloom
06. Jam It In The Hole
07. I Am A Song!
08. It Ain't Punk Rock
09. Love Song For Myself
10. The Rubberband Man
11. Table And Chairs
12. Talking Turkey
INTERNET ONLY TRACKS
13. I Can Translate
14. Typical Sagittarius

No comments:

Post a Comment