Monday, March 3, 2014

USA FOR AFRICA - WE ARE THE WORLD

Ok, so We Are The World was Michael Jackson's project to fight hunger in Africa.  On it's own, I probably wouldn't have bought the disc.  But Prince contributed a song that's only available on this release.  The song was later released on his "The Hits/The B-Sides" compilation, but it was a live version and much different from the studio recording.  To date this disc is the only place you can find the studio recording of '4 The Tears In Your Eyes'.

I don't know how deeply I should go into this release.  It features the various artists gathered around Michael Jackson and his inner circle singing this song.  It also features the Canadian version of the project called Northern Lights.  The rest of the tracks are unreleased material; i.e. songs, live recordings...  by other artists making this disc a fairly rare and collectible item.  

I like some of the other material on the disc.  The Tina Turner song is pretty cool.  I even like the Huey Lewis & The News track.  Otherwise, I think it's a fairly uneventful disc for me.  Even though it's not his most spectacular song, the Prince track stands out quite dramatically from the others and is by far my personal favorite.  Even today.  It's off beat, somewhat bizarre and everything alt rock should've been back then.

Still, the disc is highly sought after by many collectors who want the music by their favorite artists and Michael Jackson fans also find this disc highly collectible.  It can get pretty pricey when you find it on eBay or Amazon.com.  Because it's no longer in print, this disc is hard to find at a decent price.

I don't know much more to say about the disc other than I'm glad I have a copy.  My final words:  ONLY FOR DIE-HARD COLLECTORS WHO ARE TRYING TO COMPLETE COLLECTIONS.

USA FOR AFRICA - WE ARE THE WORLD
01. USA For Africa - We Are The World
02. Steve Perry - If Only For The Moment, Girl
03. The Pointer Sisters - Just A Little Closer
04. Bruce Springsteen & The E Street Band - Trapped
05. Northern Lights - Tears Are Not Enough
06. Prince & The Revolution - 4 The Tears In Your Eyes
07. Chicago - Good For Nothing
08. Tina Turner - Total Control
09. Kenny Rogers - A Little More Love
10. Huey Lewis & The News - Trouble In Paradise

No comments:

Post a Comment