Sunday, March 9, 2014

DICK VALENTINE - HALLOWEEN FINGERS

This is gonna be a weird entry.  For a number of reasons.  Dick Valentine is the lead singer of Electric Six among other projects...  He's the singer of Evil Cowards and provides vocals for other groups as well.  Depending on who you talk to, "Halloween Fingers" is either the 2nd or the 3rd solo album he's released.  "Smog Cutter Love Story" by The Dirty Shame is considered by most fans to be the first solo album.  Which would make "Halloween Fingers" the third, but thematically, musically and based on the name, it's his second.  The first being "Destroy The Children".

I've had both of these albums in digital form for awhile now and I've lived with them for some time.  But as of last night, I finally own physical copies.  Before I get into the music, I need to stretch out the definition of my blog and what I normally write about.  I need to explain something.


I think last year could be the worst year of my life.  There's a natural and reasonable separation between celebrity/musicians and their fans.  It's a boundary I've always respected and although I've been imposing to get where I want to be in the past, I feel I do so at appropriate times.  I wouldn't approach or bother someone during their private downtime.  But I see nothing wrong with chatting up a band before or after a concert.  That is the acceptable time to interact with these people.


But there is an emotional connection fans form with musicians.  Although you don't have contact with someone in a band on a day to day basis, if you listen to their music regularly, they become a familiar voice in your life.  Whether you realize it or not, that familiarity creates a degree of trust.  It's why we have emotional connections to our favorite music.  Still, a rational mind can separate that from reality, while obsessive fans cannot. 


I had a moment last night, while talking with Dick Valentine...  It was awkward because it was a personal moment.  In a very dark and lonely moment last year, when the world seemed overwhelmingly sad, I reached out.  


I reached out to a voice I trusted and met compassion.


I really needed to thank him for that.  And it was awkward as hell.  But I meant it sincerely.  Thank you.


So the first thing that strikes me when listening to "Halloween Fingers" is how much is resembles an Irish Jig.  And I mean that in the nicest possible way!  It's actually wonderful.  There's a whirling dervish spin happening in the tempo of the disc that's both fun and completely unexpected.


One of the things I love most in artists is the ability to incorporate various sounds and styles.  Just when you think you have a handle on the sound of Electric Six; Disco, Punk, Rock, Folk, Pop, New Wave, Metal, Techno, Alt. Country, Industrial; they release something that moves into new areas entirely.


Dick Valentine does that again here.  Comprised of 13 acoustic tracks, the disc can seem like a short listen, but the songs are packed with Valentine's signature lyrics.  Complex, tongue 'n' cheek and deeply insightful.  'Halloween Fingers' the title track starts off at a jolly pace and pictures of Riverdance Dancers spritely leaping across a stage dressed as witches while confetti fall all around you like glittering stars flopping down from the rafters.  'Omaha Steaks' follows it up with a more somber sound and an interesting violin motif.  I love the line, "Beautiful girls turn into beautiful ghosts".  'Dry County' is the first track to feature drums and a fuller band arrangement.  Aside from the violin, Valentine plays all the instruments on this disc.  'Dry County' is an enjoyable number and could potentially create a following completely separate from his traditional E6 listeners.


'Totally Unqualified' returns to the twirling guitar strumming you expect to hear on an acoustic CD.  The surprise in this song shows up in the clever lyrics.  There are some interesting lines in this song and they're quite fun.  Disturbing, but fun.  'Litterbug' enjoys a musical harmony between the guitar and violin and is followed by one of my favorite tracks on the disc, 'We Will Leave You In Toronto'.  This track has a straining quality adding tension to the musical arrangement.  Dick sings the song in a unhurried way, but he uses the music to punctuate the storyline and add depth to the narrative.  It's very effective and haunting.  'Loss Of Life' features an incredible bridge three quarters of the way through with a live segment similar to what he does in E6 concerts.  I also love the shouting on the track.


'I Want To Eat A Complete Stranger' is a metaphorical number recalling the Irish folk sound of 'Halloween Fingers'.  It's another track I really love.  Very fun and easy to sing along with.  'I'm Going Back To Sleep' is a song I can see a lot of modern bands covering.  It's sheer enjoyment from start to finish.  'Lend Me Some Of Your Ammunition' is the shortest track on the disc and features a verse, chorus and a fading bridge.  It seems more like a song idea than a fully fledged song.  It's something I'd expect to hear on "Sexy Trash" rather than this solo album.


'Gimme Five' is a great song and features some of the best lyrics Valentine's written in years!  Absolutely brilliant.  'Ever Since I Never Saw You' jumps out at you from the speakers and oddly enough feels like a road map for dysfunctional relationships.  He describes his "fans/lovers" as monsters that keep coming back, but who "Can't escape his love".  'Running Out Of Potato' rounds out the disc and is another fun and frantic number.  You end your listening experience on a high note and let's be frank, there's nothing wrong with that...  Ever.


I think you have a certain expectation when you buy an album from a musician and it's announced or known to be an acoustic record.  Especially if the artist isn't famous for their acoustic work.  Most of these albums are embraced by the hardcore fans, though seldom if ever trumpeted as defining additions to a musical body of work.  They can be predictable in the sense that an artist can limit themselves by committing to an acoustic sound.  However, that doesn't happen here.  Dick Valentine is a man who knows his strengths.  Granted, he's learned them over time through trial and error, but this disc shows the man playing to his strengths and using his talent to redefine what can or can't be done with an acoustic disc.


There are at least 5 songs on this disc I would hold up as comparable to the best songs of E6, Evil Cowards, White Gold... etc, etc...  Despite the short length of the songs, this is one disc worth owning.  Even if Electric Six isn't your cup of tea, this one might be.  My final words:  RUN, DON'T WALK, DON'T EVEN PASS GO - HEAD ON DOWN TO THE NEXT E6 SHOW - AT THE MERCH TABLE YOU SHELL OUT YOUR DOUGH - OR GET HALLOWEEN FINGERS ON DIGITAL DOWNLOAD - OO WE OO WE OO!


DICK VALENTINE - HALLOWEEN FINGERS

01. Halloween Fingers
02. Omaha Steaks
03. Dry County
04. Totally Unqualified
05. Litterbug
06. We Will Leave You In Toronto
07. Loss Of Life
08. I Want To Eat A Complete Stranger
09. I'm Going Back To Sleep
10. Lend Me Some Of Your Ammunition
11. Gimme Five
12. Ever Since I Never Saw You
13. Running Out Of Potato

No comments:

Post a Comment