Tuesday, December 20, 2016

ERASURE - LOVEBOAT

Until "Loveboat" came out, the last Erasure album I liked all the way through was "Chorus".  Because "Loveboat" wasn't released in the US until 3 years after it's release in the UK and Europe, my copy is an import from the UK.  I actually downloaded a pirated copy of the disc and listened to it before I bought it.  I couldn't believe it didn't have a US release!  I thought it was phenomenal!

In my opinion, "Loveboat" is one of their strongest albums.  There's not a single track on this disc I don't absolutely enjoy.  From the opening strums of guitar on 'Freedom' to the fade out on 'Surreal', I was completely hooked.  Each of the tracks is catchy, sensible and all around fun to sing and dance to.  It's rare for a pop band to release a disc loaded with one great tune after another.  For me, Erasure achieved that with this disc.

There are songs I like more than others, but when I play this disc, I put it in and let it go.  I have all the tracks memorized and I sing along without hesitation.  I find it engaging.  Even some of the slower tunes are above average.  'Where In The World' is a slower number, but it has some interesting vocals that make it fun to sing.  There's a difference in the drum sounds used on this record too.  It seems like Erasure got an upgrade in their sound banks.  The first track this is evident on is 'Crying In The Rain'.  When the song starts, you hear a drum I can only describe as matte finish drums.  It doesn't have much of an echo but it does sound funky.

On the next track, 'Perchance To Dream' we get more of the new drum sounds and an interesting vocal arrangement by Andy Bell as he sings part of the song in his falsetto.  'Alien' is a track that relies on Vince Clarke's trademark sound effects to build the song.  Fans of the band all enjoy Clarke's ability to fill the spaces between the chords with his electric whirs and pops.  It's part of the appeal.

My favorite track on the album is probably 'Here In My Heart'.  It reminds me of so many other Erasure tracks I've loved over the years.  One song in particular it reminds me of is 'In Your Arms' from "Cowboy".  My second favorite track is 'Catch 22' and it also fits into that perfect Erasure song category for me.  'Moon & The Sky' is a powerhouse tune.  You get some drums that sounds similar to the Linn Drum Machine clap sounds.  The bass lines are deep and the groove is funky!  This is an excellent jam in my opinion and I love the R&B soul feel to it.  It's very Prince-like.  

The final track on the album is 'Surreal' and for me, this song would feel right at home on "Chorus".  I adore it.

According to my online research, Madonna's Maverick label shelved the album for lack of a hit single.  I find that absolutely ridiculous.  I hear hit singles all over this record.  It did eventually get a US release.  Along with the cover album, "Other People's Songs" in 2003.  In my opinion, that was a huge mistake.  A band like Erasure has a hardcore following.  There are Erasure fans who will purchase anything the group puts out.  That being the case, Maverick could've been assured of at least a certain number of units sold.  I'm not sure what that figure would be but I'm sure it's more than most groups on that label could pull off at the time.

I think this is an album that Erasure expanded their sound, songwriting and musical styles successfully on.  It could be considered at experimental as "Erasure", but in this case, the result was much more positive.  I think they did exactly what they set out to do.  My second favorite Erasure album for sure...  My final words:  AN OVERLOOKED GEM IN THE ERASURE BACK CATALOG.

ERASURE - LOVEBOAT
01. Freedom
02. Where In The World
03. Crying In The Rain
04. Perchance To Dream
05. Alien
06. Mad As We Are
07. Here In My Heart
08. Love Is The Rage
09. Catch 22
10. Moon & The Sky
11. Surreal

No comments:

Post a Comment