Saturday, March 7, 2015

ROMEO VOID - WARM, IN YOUR COAT

For awhile there I was picking up 80's CD's and if there was a song I liked and I found the disc, I'd buy it.  More times than not, I shot myself in the foot spending money on some of these records.  I'd love one song and hate the rest of the record.

This album was one of those.  I loved 'Never Say Never' but couldn't get into the rest of the record.  So now, all these years later, I put the album on and let it go.  I wanted to see if my initial reaction had changed.

I don't think I gave this group a fair shot back then and I know why...  I started listening to this record and there's a saxophone featured dominantly in the music.  Because of this, I almost wrote the album off.  At the time, sax seemed to be overdubbed on everything.  I wanted to tell the band enough was enough.  The sax is overrated and annoying.  I think I'd have enjoyed it more if that damn sax wasn't in the music.  Their music just doesn't lend itself to that instrument.

However, despite the flagrant use of the horn, I actually started listening to other qualities in these songs and I was a little shocked.  Romeo Void fit into the California style of new wave that emerged from late 70's Punk rock with bands like the Go-Go's, Blondie, Missing Persons and the Cars.  This branch of New Wave still relied heavily on traditional instruments.  The new sound came from radical changes in the way songs were written, arranged and sung.  It was innovating.  These groups were constantly challenging the definition of popular music.

Musically, Romeo Void is a band with a lot of interesting melodies and song ideas.  Where they dropped the ball is a debatable topic.  No matter how many bands hired female singers, only those with unique voices convincingly  fronted New Wave bands.  Although she's an interesting vocal arranger, Debora Iyall's voice couldn't drive the band beyond the singular success of the single, 'Never Say Never', (arguably her best performance with the band).  They had one song on the hot 100, 'A Girl In Trouble (Is A Temporary Thing), but that success fizzled out almost as quickly as it came.  Seeing an overweight woman fronting a band was a shock the band relied on heavily to gain exposure.  But no matter how many people tuned in to see her perform, the interest wasn't there to guarantee the band any long term success.  Which is a shame.  I hear so many great ideas here.  There was just too much stacked against them.

I could try to break down the record for you, but there's not enough to keep me excited in the individual songs.  Instead, my newfound appreciation for their work is limited to hearing potential both in the lyrics and the music.  I will say this much, 'Never Say Never', was the track I bought this disc for and I'm still thrilled I own it.  It's an amazing song.  It can't cover the entire record though.

So to sum it up, different singer, same songs, no saxophone and this group might have stood up to The Smiths.  I think it would have driven them to great heights of fame.  My final words: HEAVY SAX SUICIDE NOTHING COULD SURVIVE!

ROMEO VOID - WARM, IN YOUR COAT
01. White Sweater
02. I Mean It
03. Charred Remains
04. Talk Dirty To Me
05, Myself To Myself
06. In The Dark
07. A Girl In Trouble (Is A Temporary Thing)
08. Out On My Own (Dance Mix)
09. Just Too Easy
10, Wrap It Up
11, Flashfirm
12, Undercover, Kept
13. Chinatown
14. Never Say Never
15. One Thousand Shadows

1 comment:

  1. where is archive to share zippyshare for archive share please

    ReplyDelete