Tuesday, March 3, 2015

DEPECHE MODE - SOUNDS OF THE UNIVERSE

I was a huge Depeche Mode fan back in the 80's.  And I loved some of their later work.  On the heels of "Playing The Angel", I was expecting something truly miraculous.  At the same time, I was starting to feel like they'd hit their stride.  Certain songs on more recent albums seemed predictable.  For example, "Sounds Of The Universe" hosts the track, 'Jezebel'; a song we've already heard before.  "Ultra"'s 'Sister Of Night' is another streetwalker/misunderstood prostitute song.  And as much as I've enjoyed David Gahan's contributions to recent albums, 'Hole To Feed' sounds very much like 'The Dead Of Night' from "Exciter".

This was the first Depeche Mode record I didn't rush out and buy the day it was released.  I skipped the tour and pretty much tuned them out with this effort.  I blame the first single, 'Wrong' for my lack of interest.  When I heard the song, it was literally the first DM song I didn't like.  I thought it was boring and uninteresting.  I streamed the album once online and based on my dislike of that first single, I dismissed the rest of the album without giving it a fair shot.


I recently found the album at a pawn shop for a small amount and I picked it up.  Mostly because I have almost everything else the band has done.  I can be a completest.  I decided to listen to the record again and give it a fair shot.  


Honestly, I'm still not excited about what I'm hearing, but I am excited about some of the sound choices.  This album, more than any other seems to sound like their older material.  There are a lot of great synth sounds all over this record and I enjoy that immensely.  Certain songs like 'In Sympathy', 'Perfect', 'Miles Away/The Truth Is' and 'Fragile Tension' have that wonderful groove I love from DM.  


But the overall mood of the album is somber, melancholy and dark.  Normally, that would be something to look forward to, but in this case, the darkness holds no real mystery or secret.  


I'm not going to bother with a track by track review...  I'll simply say, this is the first Depeche Mode album I didn't love.  I can't say it's horrible, but I can't say it's good either.  I'm still up in the air.  But I am sad.  I never thought this day would come.  It's possible Depeche Mode and I are at a crossroads where we have to part ways.  More than anything, I feel like my youth is over.  And that sucks.


My final words:  NOT SURE IF I'LL BUY NEW RELEASES FROM DEPECHE MODE AFTER THIS.


DEPECHE MODE - SOUNDS OF THE UNIVERSE

01. In Chains
02. Hole To Feed
03. Wrong
04. Fragile Tension
05. Little Soul
06. In Sympathy
07. Peace
08. Come Back
09. Spacewalker
10. Perfect
11. Miles Away/The Truth Is
12. Jezebel
13. Corrupt

No comments:

Post a Comment