Wednesday, June 12, 2013

RHONDA SMITH - RS2


Rhonda Smith is probably best known as the bass player in Prince's band, The New Power Generation.  At least in the later incarnations of the group.  I picked up this CD because Prince worked on it.  I was in a phase where I thought I'd get music if he played on it, but I've since changed my mind.  I'll stick to composition work only.

Ok, so here's the rundown on RS2...  My first impression of the disc is mixed.  There were some funky grooves, but they sound almost imitated.  Like she's trying to copy Me'Shell Ndegeocello.  Or something like that.  The background sounds are distracting and don't really mesh with the music in the foreground.  For example, in 'To Get With You', a flight attendant is calling for passengers to board a plane and it just sounds completely out of place.

I'm not gonna break the disc down like I sometimes do...  I usually do it when I have good things to say about all the songs.  This album has some interesting musical ideas.  But the brilliance in the work is overshadowed by the generic.  It never achieves its full potential.  There are so many talented musicians working on the music, you can't help but be impressed with what you're hearing.  It's just not substantial or interesting enough to stand on its own.  Of course this is just my opinion and I'm sure there are plenty of people who will disagree with me.

I'm hearing a lot of sounds Prince was using at the time as well.  You can tell much of this was recorded using similar or same instruments.

The first time I heard this disc I wasn't impressed.  After all these years, this is only the second time I've listened to it and I'm not left with a different impression.  I just finished listening to 'Ray Of Light' and I'm not feeling it.

Don't get my wrong, Rhonda is a talented musician.  When I've seen her play live, she's absolutely aces to watch.  She kinda glides around the stage with that bass.  But she's not interesting on her own.  She doesn't have a sound she's matured into or a solo voice.  There's never been an identity for her outside of Prince.

There's a lot of promise here.  But nothing worth making this an absolute must have record.  My final words:  SKIP IT FOR NOW.

RHONDA SMITH - RS2
01. What Do They Think Music Is?
02. To Get With You
03. Lost Child
04. Time
05. Always 
06. Country Music
07. Gotta Believe
08. Sunshine
09. I27
10. It's You
11. The Hypnotic
12. Grind
13. Why Criticize
14. I Miss You
15. Ray Of Light

No comments:

Post a Comment