Thursday, March 14, 2013

PET SHOP BOYS - FUNDAMENTAL

The Pet Shop Boys usually release a regular and a bonus edition of their albums.  "Fundamental" was no exception.  I was able to get the double disc edition and I've been pleased to no end with the results of my efforts.  

My focus with PSB is usually the lyrics.  I love groups who write songs that grab you and tell you a story.  PSB is one of those bands for me.  Except you often feel like you're walking into the middle of a story and watching something happening in the moment.  This record is no exception.  

Still, my enjoyment of their music can be hit and miss at times.  And this CD certainly has a few misses in my opinion.  However, the good material is strong enough to bear up under the weight of the filler stuff; so ultimately, you win here.  What you'll find lacking is a cohesive overall theme.  The CD seems to jump around without focusing anywhere.  As a whole, it can be challenging to listen to.  On a song by song basis, the material is much more accessible and pleasing.

Normally, I'd do a song by song breakdown, but in the case of this CD and considering how late it is, I think I'll just write about the impressions I get from the discs.

I like 'Psychological', but I'm more impressed with the mix on the second disc.  I find the build quite exciting and ethereal.  I get excited when I listen to it.  Let's face it, the first few songs are very strong and keep you on the edge of your seat.  'The Sodom And Gomorrah Show' is absolutely astounding and I've had more than a few fantastic moments singing along while listening to my ipod and having someone look at me like I'm smoking crack because of this tune's lyrics.  They're wonderful and bring to mind Armistad Maupin's "Tales Of The City".  All about discovering the world and embracing a less traditional lifestyle.  Seeing through the crap and finding enlightenment free of superstitious inhibitions.

'I Made My Excuses And Left' is a song I quite love, but I'm also uncomfortable when I hear it.  I've actually had moments like that in my life and it's difficult to listen to a lovely ballad describing feelings I'd prefer to forget.  'Minimal' kicks in and lightens the mood with a refreshing beat reminding you PSB are masters of dance floor hits.  This one made the circuit all around the world I'm sure.  If it didn't, it should've.  'Numb' is a rather doleful number.  I think it's a clever tune, but reminds me heavily of sentiments expressed by Nine Inch Nails and other industrial bands rather than a pop duo.  Still, the issue of avoiding one's feelings is a subject I can't expect master song writer's like Neil and Chris to avoid.  

The next notable track is 'I'm With Stupid'.  It's common to think you're mentally superior to others.  I used to think I was smarter than most people.  In fact, I had a superiority complex because of it.  As I've grown older, I've changed my views quite a bit.  It doesn't stop me from feeling superior when I'm hanging around people who haven't devoted time or energy researching politics or paying attention to what's happening in the world.  My critical mind also feels an ego boost when I listen to people spout nonsense they hear on programs like Rush Limbaugh or accept some radical propaganda as reality instead of researching the truth.  My initial reaction is to pity them and view them as weak minded.  Fortunately for me, I work in an industry where I'm not the smartest or most talented individual in the building.  Quite the opposite, I'm usually the one wondering what's going on.  I've grown to realize people are different and smarter in different areas.  I've been able to see past my own bias and find the strengths of others rather than finding a reason to feel superior.  

Whew, that was a long ramble...  And all to say, I can certainly understand the meaning of this song.  I've often found myself in this position.  

'Twentieth Century' is a wonderful number.  The tempo is slower, but the chorus is simply brilliant and lovely to sing.  It's one I belt out at the top of my lungs.  No matter where I am.  It leads into one of the most wonderful ballads ever written, 'Indefinite Leave To Remain'.  Absolutely beautiful.  

The second disc is loaded with some truly memorable tracks.  From exciting mixes, b-sides and new versions of older songs...  There's something for everyone here.  I love 'Fugitive (Richard X Extended Mix)'.  As I mentioned before, I also love the Alter Ego Remix of 'Psychological'.  I think it's stellar.  About the only thing I'm not impressed with is the updated version of the tune PSB wrote and produced for Dusty Springfield, 'In Private'.  It's performed as a duet with Elton John.  I much prefer the original version to the remakes.  But that's just me.  A name like Elton John is sure to draw some interest in the tune.

So to wrap up, "Fundamental" is a strong record with minimal filler tracks.  You can safely purchase this disc knowing you'll have some great songs to look forward to and enjoy.  For fans of PSB, it's heavenly.  For those who are just discovering them or enjoy them in passing, this is a record you will find many of their styles showcased in great form.  It's definitely worth the purchase price.  The bonus disc is also worth the effort to track down.  It's just brilliant.  You won't go wrong there.  My final words: IT'S GOT EVERYTHING YOU NEED FOR YOUR COMPLETE ENTERTAINMENT AND INSTRUCTION.

PET SHOP BOYS - FUNDAMENTAL
01. Psychological
02. The Sodom And Gomorrah Show
03. I Made My Excuses And Left
04. Minimal
05. Numb
06. God Willing
07. Luna Park
08. I'm With Stupid
09. Casanova In Hell
10. Twentieth Century
11. Indefinite Leave To Remain
12. Integral
FUNDAMENTALISM
01. Fugitive (Richard X Extended Mix)
02. The Sodom And Gomorrah Show (Trentemoller Remix)
03. Psychological (Alter Ego Remix)
04. Flamboyant (Michael Mayer Kompakt Mix)
05. I'm With Stupid (Melnyk Heavy Petting Mix)
06. In Private (Stuart Chrichton Club Mix)
07. Minimal (Lobe Remix)
08. The Sodom And Gomorrah Show (Dettinger Remix)

No comments:

Post a Comment