Monday, November 14, 2011

MICHAEL JACKSON - OFF THE WALL

It seems like you can't mention Michael Jackson without comparing him to Prince. At least it was the case back in the 80's. I've always found that comparison fairly stupid because the two men aren't even remotely similar. What they do share in common is they are both black pop singers who broke through racial stereotypes and genre labeling to have massive commercial success. But that's where the similarities end. Prince is more of a musician... Writing, producing, playing music. Michael was more of a singer and dancer. Their music and performance styles were completely different. I was always more of a Prince fan and my sister loved Michael. She still enjoys his music to this day.

When it comes to Michael, I've never really understood the appeal. He's never been interesting to me or very exciting. I've been more fascinated with his sister than him. He does have the distinction of writing a song I wish I'd written. But that's a story for another day. Let's talk about "Off The Wall"...

Of all the Michael Jackson records out there, this is my favorite. I say it's my favorite because it has more than one song I really like on it. And it's the only one I'm inclined to own. In many ways, this CD typifies that 70's black sound for me. It's got disco, but it's mostly got that sound so many people were listening to with Motown and other R&B acts. Kool & The Gang, Marvin Gaye, Stevie Wonder, Smokey Robinson... Once again, I was more interested in the funk groups like Ohio Players, Funkadelic, Sly & The Family Stone... But I did like some of the more laid back numbers.

If I owned this album on cassette it would almost be a case of liking one side and hating the other. This is one of those 50/50 records. I like the first few tracks, 'Don't Stop 'Til You Get Enough', 'Rock With You', 'Working Day And Night' and 'Off The Wall'. I also really like 'It's The Falling In Love' from what would be the second side of the record. The rest of the tracks are mediocre and do little to excite me even though I know they're hugely popular with Jackson fans. My two favorite tracks on the CD are 'Rock With You' and 'It's The Falling In Love'. These are the two numbers I will sit and sing along with at the top of my lungs. I find them both satisfying.

In the end, I've never been a huge Michael fan, but I have great respect for his talent and the success he's had in his career. I don't want to get swamped with Jackson fans giving me crap because I'm not a fan. I do enjoy some of his stuff and I'm publicly admitting it here and now. My final words: GREAT R&B DISCO SOUNDS!


MICHAEL JACKSON - OFF THE WALL
01. Don't Stop 'Til You Get Enough
02. Rock With You
03. Working Day And Night
04. Get On The Floor
05. Off The Wall
06. Girlfriend
07. She's Out Of My Life
08. I Can't Help It
09. It's The Falling In Love
10. Burn This Disco Out

No comments:

Post a Comment