Friday, November 18, 2011

EINSTÜRZENDE NEUBAUTEN - ENDE NEU

Einstürzende Neubauten is a German industrial band most famously known for the use of instruments made from power tools and metal. The majority of these instruments are percussive. My first exposure to them came when I read an article about Martin L. Gore from Depeche Mode. I can't remember if it was an interview or just a writer's imagination, but I do remember reading that Martin was a fan of the band. It went on to discuss how Depeche Mode's use of sampling to engineer sounds is a result of Gore's and other band members' attraction to this form of industrial music. As my interest in Depeche Mode grew, I wanted to hear the music by the groups they listened to.

I didn't found a copy of one of their albums until the mid 90's when I found "Tabula Rasa". I bought it and found the music interesting. I was also intrigued to hear Depeche Mode copy some sounds on newer material from that record. It was fascinating. When I saw this album out on Trent Reznor's Nothing label, I had to pick it up. I thought it would have some input by Reznor who is another artist influenced by their industrial chaos; however, Reznor has nothing to do with the record.

So... it's left to its own devices and I had to listen to it without any preconceptions or hopes. It was just a new record from a band I found interesting. How did it hold up?

Well, as much as I admire and enjoy the concept of groups being inspired by Ein
stürzende Neubauten, I find myself not quite catching the flow. Don't get me wrong... I like their music and I think lyrically, the band is quite ahead of its time. But it's not music I would put in to jam out to. There are some awesome exceptions... For example, the opening track 'Was Ist Ist' kicks in like a freight train barreling down the tracks and practically mows you under. It features a tongue twisting chorus that's as mentally provocative as it is verbally frustrating. Try saying, "Was ist ist, was nicht ist ist möglich" ten times fast. Translated, it says, "What is is, what is not is possible". I also like 'Die Explosion Im Festspielhaus'. It's a creepy slow number with bizarre lyrics and a dramatic storyline.

Other than that, the album is probably standard fare for them. 'Nnnaaammm' is way too long, and despite reading all kinds of hype about the track 'Stella Maris', I didn't enjoy it. At least not in particular. If you're a fan of
Einst
ürzende Neubauten, this record probably won't disappoint you. It's certainly a book end to any collection. It's also not likely to be recognized as a ground-breaking or defining piece of work. My final words: FOR DIE-HARD FANS. DOWNLOAD INDIVIDUAL TRACKS.


EINSTÜRZENDE NEUBAUTEN - ENDE NEU
01. Was Ist Ist
02. Stella Maris
03. Die Explosion Im Festspielhaus
04. Installation N
°1

05. Nnnaaammm
06. Ende Neu
07. The Garden
08. Der Schacht Von Babel
09. Bili Rubin (Bonus Track)

No comments:

Post a Comment