Thursday, March 11, 2010

MICA PARIS - CONTRIBUTION

I was living in Switzerland when this disc came out. I wasn't sure I'd even find it there as it was in an American magazine I learned of it. I originally bought it because it had a Prince track on it, but I quickly moved past my motivation and embraced the disc. Though not a strong vocalist, Mica has an interesting voice and knows how to showcase it in the best possible way. The record features some interesting and exciting songwriting. I've not heard most of the contributors before or since, but I quite like what they did here. 'Contribution' is an anthem of sorts and should have been a single. Most of the tracks on here have a Soul II Soul sound. Those urban drum beats highly typical of the late 80s early 90s are strongly present. The Prince song is quite interesting though somewhat subdued compared to the rest of the music. And yet, 'If I Love U 2 Nite' fits in nicely with the flow of the record while simultaneously maintaining its identity as a Prince composition. The track was later recorded by Prince's first wife, Mayte on her solo disc for NPG Records.

The Smokey Robinson cover is also an outstanding cut. It's very exciting arrangement helps move the album forward with a number of stand-out tracks. 'You Can Make A Wish' and 'Just Make Me The One' are among the many amazing songs. The only downside is the socially conscious track 'Who Can We Blame'. Even though it's a reflective tune based on highlighting awareness on social indifference, it ends up sounding more like a whine than proclamation. The closing track, 'One World' is essentially a reprise of 'Contribution' this time being performed by a gospel choir complete with whoops and shouts of praise. A fulfilling conclusion. Rakim donates the rap in the opening track but doesn't appear on the rest of the disc.

The final word is great disc by an exciting artist who has lots of potential and recorded a lovely disc. Not sure what's happened to her. I'll have to pull her up on Wikipedia and read up. One thing I'd like to mention... This disc has a strong European sound to it. It's almost typical British pop, but satisfying in the round. Well Worth the effort to track down.
My final word: GROOVY.


MICA PARIS - CONTRIBUTION
01. Contribution
02. South Of The River
03. If I Love U 2 Nite
04. Just To Be With You
05. Take Me Away
06. Truth & Honesty
07. Deep Afrika
08. More Love
09. You Can Make A Wish
10. Just Make Me The One
11. I Can't Stop Loving You
12. I've Been Watching You
13. Who Can We Blame
14. One World

No comments:

Post a Comment