Wednesday, March 31, 2010

K.D. LANG - DRAG

Why did I purchase this disc? Good question, easy answer. Basically, Wendy & Lisa were working on this album with her and I needed it for my Wendy & Lisa collection. But I was amazed by the intensity and range of k.d. lang herself. This is a concept album. Don't let the name or cover photograph fool ya. k.d appears on the cover and all subsequent photographs wearing mens clothing. She is a female doing male drag. Yes, believe it or not, there are such things as Drag Kings. But to give the album a double meaning, all the songs deal with cigarette smoking and the cover photograph shows Lang in a suggestive pose holding an imaginary cigarette.

All of the songs are covers and in one way or another contain references to smoking. Although the tracks Lisa and Wendy play on are interesting and unique, I found many others that were just as exciting and diverting. She really shines here. Lang has a smokey lounge singer voice and interprets these classics with a mixture of jazz, r&b, country and soul. It's quite revolutionary in many ways.

Though I don't normally ascribe to following singers, Lang has given me every reason to pick up more material and discover not only a voice but a mind and a philosophy toward musical discovery. No wonder Lisa & Wendy wanted to work with her. Classic disc. A welcome addition to any collection and well worth owning.
My final word: INSPIRED.


K.D. LANG - DRAG
01. Don't Smoke In Bed
02. The Air That I Breathe
03. Smoke Dreams
04. My Last Cigarette
05. The Joker
06. Theme From The Valley Of The Dolls
07. Your Smoke Screen
08. My Old Addiction
09. Till The Heart Caves In
10. Smoke Rings
11. Hain't It Funny
12. Love Is Like A Cigarette

No comments:

Post a Comment