Friday, February 26, 2010

WENDY & LISA - WHITE FLAGS OF WINTER CHIMNEYS

For some reason, when I read the title of Wendy & Lisa's new disc I thought of Harry Potter. It made me think of Diagon Alley.

I felt a certain apprehension buying this disc. Lisa & Wendy have a way with music that causes an emotional response in me. You watch movies like "Lord Of The Rings" and see some tragic or triumphant part... All of a sudden, you're crying. Their music has done this to me many times. I lack words to describe why I love these women. Why I care about them, so instead I'll share my impressions of the disc I'm listening to.

Lisa isn't known for contributing lead vocals very often so it's nice to hear her singing more. The blend is more evenly split on this disc and rather soothing. The first time I heard 'Balloon' I thought the music was brilliant, but I wasn't sure about the lyrics. I'm still that way now. Individual lines invoke different ideas. They're deep and meaningful, yet leave me breathless; especially the line "We are only temporary". In the context of a relationship, this a painfully sad notion. 'Invisible' comes across as the ultimate self-esteem song. If you've ever been dumped by someone, this song describes rediscovering your worth despite the horrors of losing that love. I read somewhere online the song is about Prince. That's probably true though I can't imagine they spend much time thinking about him nowadays. 'Ever After' is the track I think is most personal to the duo. For me, it reminds me of a lost friend. A very specific person. No matter how far apart our lives have grown, I still feel an overwhelming love for him. I wonder how he is, what he's doing... Sometimes I search for him online even though I know now is not the right time to have him in my life.

'Salt & Cherries (MC5)' is one of my favorite tracks. Amazing energy, progression and build. 'Niagra Falls' makes me think of childhood. How everything looked so big when I was little and now seems smaller. This shift in perspective is a scary thing. 'Red Bike' makes me think of people who inspire me through their presence. Who they are touches and motivates those around them.

'You And I'... Wow. Such a sad song. It reminds me of that last year with my ex. "You and I running out of time"... It was such a slow death to love. And yet it happened overnight. 'White Flags Of Winter Chimneys' expresses a desire to surrender to someone. There is someone I think about when I hear this song. I see him more clearly than anyone else in my life. To me, he is the chill breath, the sparkling pristine clean of cold. He is clarity. Winter. 'Beginning At The End' is another song about my ex. When we started, he loved me but I didn't love him. I fell in love with him while he was falling out of love with me. "I had just arrived in time to see you leave"...

The internet download included four additional tracks. They're all enjoyable despite my initial fears of suddenly finding a piece of work I wouldn't like by these wonderful women, I instead find myself rededicated. Devotion leaves you in a vulnerable position. No matter how much I want to give a fair and unbiased review, the fact is I find the mindset simply too compatible to my own. They make sense to me like no other artist. Do yourself a favor and buy this disc.
My final words: INSTANT CLASSIC.


WENDY & LISA - WHITE FLAGS OF WINTER CHIMNEYS
01. Balloon
02. Invisible
03. Ever After
04. Salt & Cherries (MC5)
05. Niagra Falls
06. Red Bike
07. You And I
08. White Flags Of Winter Chimneys
09. Beginning At The End
10. Niagra Falls (Demo)
11. The Dream (Demo)
12. Viste (Demo)
13. Waiting For Coffee

No comments:

Post a Comment