Saturday, February 20, 2010

NONA HENDRYX - FEMALE TROUBLE

This is a disc I bought because Prince wrote a song for her. However, I didn't know the song existed until the early 90s when I was living in Europe. Fortunately, I found the disc at a shop in Olten, Switzerland. I'm also a fan of Jam & Lewis. Flyte Tyme Productions is one of my favorite production houses. I've loved the work they've done with Janet Jackson and others.

The disc starts off relatively nicely. The first two tracks are fun, though not exactly groundbreaking in any way. They were typical pop fare for the time period. In fact they sound like something from the "Pretty Woman" soundtrack. The Prince track segues from the second song. It kicks in with a strange, off balance beat that somehow manages to make you wanna start moving around and waving your hands. 'Baby Go-Go' makes me wanna go-go.

The next two tracks are the Flyte Tyme numbers. The first, 'Rhythm Of Change' is written by Spencer Bernard and features a standard collection of Flyte Tyme musicians playing in the background. The tune itself isn't all that exciting, but it has a strong beat reminiscent of Janet Jackson's 'Black Cat'. 'Why Should I Cry?' is more standard Flyte Tyme and features a melodic hook. My only complaint is the echo on Hendryx's voice. It really distracts from the lyrics. Still, it's an awesome number and excellent turn out from them.

The remaining tracks are pretty common sounding and none of them stand out in any form. They're typical filler material from the time. But when you consider this cd as a record, virtually one whole side is worth hearing while the second is fluff bits. 50% isn't a bad percentage when you're talking about a full album. Hendryx has a powerful voice and she's not afraid to use it. She's a bold sounding artist. Her political messages all over the album liner notes are impossible to ignore and obsolete today, but they don't distract from the musical value. There's more than one reason to check this disc out. Worth the effort.
My final word: DECENT.


NONA HENDRYX - FEMALE TROUBLE
01. I Know What You Need (Pygmy's Confession)
02. Big Fun
03. Baby Go-Go
04. Rhythm Of Change
05. Why Should I Cry?
06. Too Hot To Handle
07. Winds Of Change (Mandela To Mandela)
08. Female Trouble
09. Drive Me Wild

No comments:

Post a Comment