Wednesday, January 27, 2010

SADE - LOVERS ROCK

Sade was one of those 80s bands that always filtered around in the background of my conscious mind. I knew the songs from MTV. At least the popular ones. But I never paid much attention to them beyond a random liking. I can't remember how I got my first Sade tape, but I remember being struck by the complexity of the lyrics. At that time I was learning to write lyrics myself and also experimenting with feelings. Confronting my conflicting desires and need to connect to another person emotionally and physically. There were little crushes that went unnoticed and unsatisfied. These turbulent feelings were somehow defined through Sade's lyrics and grooves. I never appreciated ballads until "Stronger Than Pride". But afterward, life was very different.

'Lovers Rock' came out while I was with my ex. It was the first Sade album in a long time and I was really excited for it. We even wanted to see her perform in Vegas. I downloaded the album before I bought it, and my initial reaction was one of skepticism. The beats were more modern and less deep than on previous albums. Still, with a few exceptions, the music follows traditional Sade material. Love was the main theme. Three songs were somewhat out of place on the record. 'Slave Song', 'Immigrant' and 'The Sweetest Gift' are all songs with different themes. 'Slave Song' and 'Immigrant' are nods to Sade's African heritage and the enslavement of her ancestors. 'The Sweetest Gift' is a song about her kid. They're interesting, though 'Slave Song' really captivates my imagination. I love the tune. After a couple listens, I realized I could lay back and groove along with this disc as easily as any of the others. It was just as enjoyable. Even with an updated sound.

It's hard to say which songs are the stand-out tracks on this disc. I pretty much love them all. And at any given time, each one of them can seem extremely poignant. Right now, 'Somebody Already Broke My Heart' seems to be having a major impact on me. Normally 'Lovers Rock' is my outstanding favorite. Probably because I think it's such a hopeful tune. I listen to it and believe one day I will find true love.

I'm revisiting Sade cds because I'm excited about her new disc. I'm hoping it's wonderful and exciting. I'm also hoping to be more open-minded about any different directions the band chooses to take. 'Lovers Rock' was a surprising treat. I strongly encourage you to pick this disc up. It's worth it. My final word: PLEASING.


SADE - LOVERS ROCK
01. By Your Side
02. Flow
03. King Of Sorrow
04. Somebody Already Broke My Heart
05. All About Our Love
06. Slave Song
07. The Sweetest Gift
08. Every Word
09. Immigrant
10. Lovers Rock
11. It's Only Love That Gets You Through

No comments:

Post a Comment