Thursday, August 10, 2017

THE TING TINGS - WE STARTED NOTHING


As much as it pains me to admit this...  I didn't know who The Ting Tings were until after their 3rd album was released.  "We Started Nothing" is their first and frankly, if I'd heard it earlier I would've been on board following this band from day one.

There are so many reasons to like this group but the one I like best is the simple fact they write some of the most fun and energetic pop music I've ever heard.  They blend sounds from other genres into their musical stew and somehow it all melts together to form the perfect toasted cheese music sandwich.  You just sink your teeth in.

I've talked about this before, but once I'd heard some of their songs I was hooked and in the space of a couple weeks I bought their entire catalog.  This is actually the first CD of theirs I owned and it's fantastic!

Right off the bat, 'Great DJ' takes simple lyrics, repetition and a compelling drum beat, throws them together and the result is absolute top-of-your-lungs-in-the-car-driving-window-down-singing good times!  There's not a lot of content here as far as lyrics are concerned.  It's a very simple story and the repetitive "drums" chant would drive me crazy in a band like The Cranberries, but here it actually works and gets me excited!

There's a punk edge to the sound of this first record and it's here in the second track.  'That's Not My Name' is another power house of a song that's so catchy you can't help but sing along!  Between the first two songs, I'm already in the zone and completely grooving.  But nothing could prepare me for 'Fruit Machine'.  There's something about this tune that brings to mind the rock The Go-Go's used to make.  And when you hit the chorus and with Katie White singing "Ka-Ching, Boy", I'm jumping up and down like I was at a B-52's concert.  This band has an uncanny knack for writing these incredible hooks and catchy songs.  You just can't help but get into them.

Following 'Fruit Machine' is 'Traffic Light' and this song slows things down dramatically.  It's a mid-tempo tune that initially sounds like another band.  You actually turn around and think to yourself, "Wait, what happened to the CD I was playing?"  Eventually, Katie's vocals float in and you realize you're still in the spell of this band.  Even a simple song like 'Traffic Light' is good.  My favorite bit comes toward the end of the track when they use orchestral sounds to punctuate the lyrics.  

'Shut Up And Let Me Go' is easily my favorite track on this disc.  Once again, you have the driving punk sound of the drums hammering behind animated vocals.  This tune is a forerunner to a funkier sound they explore more on their subsequent albums.  The rhythm guitar is absolutely pumpin'!  As much as I dig this album, I will put this disc in sometimes and play this track on repeat.  If you haven't heard it, stream it on Youtube now and discover this band!

'Keep Your Head' moves the band in yet another direction.  The signature drum and guitar are present and driving the track along until suddenly, you get some keyboards motifs jumping in and a fuller band sound suddenly takes over.  'Be The One' comes in at number 7 and is another stunning effort.  The melody really stands out on this number.  Up to this point, White alternates between singing and an aggressive half shout talking rap style.  'Be The One' showcases her in a softer way.  Like 'Traffic Light', this track is sung all the way through and Katie really shines.  Jules is also noticeable on vocals here.  He sings background.  

The album takes another shift with 'We Walk'.  There are a lot of elements in this track I'd normally dismiss as ridiculous.  It starts off with a piano intro before the percussion kicks in and the drums erupt.  White is back to her Speaking/Singing delivery.  It's a still a typical Ting Tings song and includes all of the things I like about them, but there's something Broadway about this track.  Maybe it's the way the piano plays along with the drum track, but it reminds me of a number that would work in a Broadway musical.

'Impacailla Carpisung' is a song I still haven't quite figured out.  The vocals and music sound like a jungle chant.  When I hear it I'm reminded of a song Vanity did on her "Skin On Skin" album called 'In The Jungle'.  I'm sure if I listened to it right now it wouldn't sound anything like this track, but for some reason, my mind connects the two and they have a similar vibe for me.

'We Started Nothing' ends the album on a high note similar to the one it started on.  The funky drumming and rhythm guitar hooks build wonderfully in this tune.  White sings the song verging on a falsetto.  The strange edge it gives her voice creates a tension they build throughout.  Eventually you get some horn parts and it's like an excellent foreshadow in a movie.  You can hear the funk direction they'll eventually expand on with the release of "Super Critical".

I realize everything sounds like rainbows and unicorn farts when I write about The Ting Tings, but their music is so infectious I get sucked in and I absolutely love what they do.  This is a band I desperately want to see live.  It would be quite the experience I imagine.

I find myself checking their website at least once a week because they've posted statements about a new album they're working on.  I haven't been this excited for new music since the last Electric Six album came out.  This is a band I think everyone should check out.  I think you'll find them just as thrilling as I do.

BTW, the reason I have two covers is because I have two copies of this record and one has the yellow cover and one has the red.  So I'm including them both.

My final words:  THE BEST FRESHMAN OUTING IN A CENTURY!

THE TING TINGS - WE STARTED NOTHING
01. Great DJ
02. That's Not My Name
03. Fruit Machine
04. Traffic Light
05. Shut Up And Let Me Go
06. Keep Your Head
07. Be The One
08. We Walk
09. Impacilla Carpisung
10. We Started Nothing

No comments:

Post a Comment