Tuesday, April 4, 2017

RESIDUAL KID - FACES

Residual Kid are a band I just saw live in Flagstaff during an Electric Six concert.  They were the second of three bands and got upstaged by the antics of Phoenix based party band, Broloaf.  When they took the stage, the crowd was so wound up over the loud mashing metal of Broloaf, their alt rock sound seemed almost washed out. 

Still, you gotta give em credit, they got up and played their hearts out.  It's hard to follow a band who passes out beer and shots to the crowd.

I don't remember much about their set as I was sitting at the bar and by that time, Broloaf were hanging out nearby.  It was a bit loud around me and I had a hard time concentrating on what was happening onstage.  Still, I'd picked up their CD and was looking forward to giving it a listen.

When I met the band, I was initially surprised at how young they looked.  Some of that youthfulness is evident when you hear their album.  On first listen, the disc seems to revolve around extremely shallow concepts, but on closer inspection you pick up on the themes they're trying to get across.

For a young band, they've got some interesting musical ideas and I like the fact they don't follow a standard method of composition or playing.  There are quite a few outstanding tracks on this disc, but my favorite of the bunch is easily 'Friend'.  That song just hammers.

'Purple Shoes' is awesome musically, but the lyrics...  Lol, I can't get over the lyrics.  Residual Kid are strongly influenced by an alternative rock scene and there's a punk sensibility to what they're doing.  They remind me of bands like Green Day who dominated the Alt. Rock scene of the mid to late 90's.

Based out of Austin, Texas, Residual Kid may not be the torch bearers of a California punk movement, but they certainly may herald a new underground music scene happening in their native Texas.  You'll just have to stick around and see where they end up.

It would be interesting to see this band play again.  This time without the distractions around me.  I'd like to give them a fair shot.  Based on this disc, I suspect I'd really enjoy their show.

My final words:  A FINE BIT OF ROCK FOR YOUR EARS!  CHECK IT OUT!

RESIDUAL KID - FACES
01. Faces
02. Friend
03. Purple Shoes
04. Pulling Through
05. Lab Rat
06. Lost Cause

No comments:

Post a Comment