Monday, July 27, 2015

KMFDM - SYMBOLS

KMFDM were a huge part of the 90's industrial rock scene.  They had music on soundtracks, various members were remixing for everyone from Rammstein to NIN.  They're a German band and I think their biggest hit in the US was probably the album's first track, 'Megalomaniac'.  I think it appeared on a motion picture soundtrack.  Probably one of the Mortal Kombat films.  This track is the reason I bought this album.  I picked it up on sale at the Tower Records on Maryland Parkway back in the day.  At the time, this was one of those records I regretted buying.  I loved the one track, but I didn't get into the rest of the album.  

Part of the reason I picked up the album was because I was going to see them live and I wanted to have something for band members to autograph if I got to meet them.

I remember first hearing about this band...  Everyone talking about them said the initials stood for "Kill Mother F'ing Depeche Mode", but the actual meaning is "Kein mitleid fur den mehrheit"; which means, "No sympathy for the majority".  I love that saying.

Anywho...  I listened to this album a few times in preparation for this review and I wondered if my initial impression of the disc would change since it's been so long since I've listened to the disc.  Sadly, it hasn't.  The music is fine, but it doesn't jump out at me.  I still like the intensity of the music.  But outside of 'Megalomaniac', I don't really get into anything on the disc.  'Stray Bullet' stands out, but I don't necessarily like it.  More like I find it memorable.

KMFDM is a band I find I like with certain songs and remain indifferent to on others.  I remember another track they did I loved called 'Juke Joint Jezebel'.  Amazing.

The only other thing I can think of to say about this album is the strange title.  It's just a series of symbols.  Hence the catalog listing as "Symbols". 

This is a record I wanted to like.  Really wanted to like and feel disappointed I don't like it more than I do.  But you can't win them all.  I still think KMFDM is an interesting group and I check up on them when I think of it.  I'm sure there's a diamond record in the bunch somewhere.  And with streaming media, maybe I'll find it one day and finally have my KMFDM favorite.

My final words:  SKIP FOR ME, BUT MIGHT BE GREAT FOR YOU.  I STILL WANT TO LIKE THIS BAND'S MUSIC.

KMFDM - SYMBOLS
01. Megalomaniac
02. Stray Bullet
03. Leid Und Elend
04. Mercy
05. Torture
06. Spit Sperm
07. Anarchy
08. Down And Out
09. Unfit
10. Waste

No comments:

Post a Comment