Wednesday, June 10, 2015

ERASURE - I COULD FALL IN LOVE WITH YOU

Erasure...  What can you say?  They built themselves a loyal following during the 80's and 90's that's never waned.  Of course my interest lies mainly with Vince Clarke rather than musical partner Andy Bell...  But I admit, I enjoy Bell as a vocalist.  He's soulful and projects well.  He's also full of personality.  As a songwriter, I'm often baffled by his lyrics.  They're often nonsense...  Random words strung together.  But whether or not you get into the lyrics with Erasure is kinda beside the point.  What is lyrics do is paint a visual scene.  Probably more than any other artist, you can fit Erasure songs into your life easily because you latch on to one line and that sums up a moment in time for you.  The song then magically becomes that entire situation summed up in one glorious tune.  And you will always see it through that lens.  Erasure is a highly personal group for many people because of this.

'I Could Fall In Love With You' is the first single from the "Light At The End Of The World" album.  It's one of Erasure's dynamic pop efforts that could easily transition to a ballad under the right circumstances.  The music is light-hearted and fun.  The beat is energetic and Bell really invests himself into the vocal performance.  

The first two tracks are edits of a mix by Jeremy Wheatley.  They pretty basic mixes and stay relatively faithful to the original version.  They're more like arrangements of the existing tracks rather than an actual remix.  I'm happy with them.  

The next three tracks are edits of a mix by Lee Monteverde.  This mix has a heavier rhythm section and barrels along at a great pace.  Of the two mixes, it's the superior.  The 'Dub 2' is my favorite of the mixes.

The last track is 'I Like It'.  This is a non-album b-side.  It's not one of their strongest, but it's still pretty good.  The tempo is slower than usual for Erasure, but it gives Bell a chance to explore a more complex vocal arrangement.  I would normally write this track off, but if you listen to the whole thing, there are so many little interesting moments, you have to like it.  It forces you to dig it.

Erasure don't disappoint on this one.  You get great value for your money.  5 mixes, a b-side and the album version of 'I Could Fall In Love With You'...  My final words:  IT'S A WINNER, FOLKS!!!

ERAURE - I COULD FALL IN LOVE WITH YOU
01. I Could Fall In Love With You (Jeremy Wheatley Radio Mix)
02. I Could Fall In Love With You (Jeremy Wheatley Extended 12" Mix)
03. I Could Fall In Love With You (Monteverde Radio Edit)
04. I Could Fall In Love With You (Monteverde Vocal Extended Mix)
05. I Could Fall In Love With You (Monteverde Dub 2)
06. I Could Fall In Love With You (Album Version)
07. I Like It (B-Side)

No comments:

Post a Comment