Tuesday, March 4, 2014

THE NEW POWER GENERATION - IN THE WAR

This CD single is a 26:00 minute workout by Prince and the New Power Generation.  It's a live track and mostly improvised.  Online research has revealed the track was recorded at a concert played at Paisley Park on June 20, 1998.  The actual song lasted 45 minutes and even in its edited form, it's the longest released song by Prince.

The single was initially released as a cassette single through the 1-800-New-Funk number.  The CD version was sold at live shows during the 2000 Hit And Run shows.

I can't remember where I got my copy.  I know I was sent a copy on cassette by 1-800-New-Funk, but I don't have it anymore.  I'm not sure what happened to it.

As a song, it's laid back and relaxed.  Prince speaks over some chanted vocals.  It's not a track I listen to on a regular basis, but it's one I enjoy when I do hear it.  I wouldn't mind hearing the whole track.  You don't realize it's 26:00 minutes when you let it play.  It flows along and is relaxing enough to allow you to space out.

It's a unique Prince release and one I'm glad I own.  My final words:  ONE OF NPG'S BETTER RELEASES!

THE NEW POWER GENERATION - THE WAR
01. The War

No comments:

Post a Comment