Monday, July 11, 2011

BANGLES - DIFFERENT LIGHT

I had an old cassette of their first album, "All Over The Place". I loved it. Especially 'Hero Takes A Fall'. So I was well aware of the Bangles before Prince donated their first top 40 hit, 'Manic Monday'. This is an example of how finely tuned my ear was for Prince compositions. I knew nothing about this song, but the first time I heard it, I knew it was one of his. I was telling people it was his before I had any confirmation or read the credits on the album. Of course, that's not the only reason I bought the record.

One thing the Bangles did well was arrange the opening track. 'Manic Monday' is obviously written by Prince, but doesn't have his trademark sound. The Linn Drum machine is absent and the heavy synth melodies are more light and subdued on the Bangles arrangement. All of the singles from this record feature Susanna Hoffs on lead vocals. However, on the rest of the album, the band spreads lead vocal contributions between the entire group. Vicki takes lead vocal for the second track, 'In A Different Light'. It's an ok song and I quite like it. It's not the most complicated track, but it is the title track. It's followed by 'Walking Down Your Street' with Susanna Hoffs on vocals. This was another top 40 hit for the band and it sounds more like something from their first record.
The 4th track, 'Walk Like An Egyptian' with Hoffs once again manning the reigns as lead vocalist, was the band's first #1 hit and their largest chart topper to date. This one landed them all over MTV. 'Standing In The Hallway' features lead vocals by Debbi. She also takes lead on the final track, 'Not Like You'. Vicki sings lead on 'Return Post' and 'Angels Don't Fall In Love'. Michael sings lead on 'September Gurls' and 'Following'. The entire band shares vocals on 'Let It Go'.

I don't feel like going into detail about the individual songs. Instead, I'll focus on the songs I really like. 'Return Post' is an interesting song. I think they picked the best songs for singles. I'm not a huge fan of 'Walk Like An Egyptian', but it's a decent track. My favorite number on the record is actually 'Following'. Unlike other bands Prince has donated music to, the Bangles have strong material, solid background in performance and his song isn't the only good one on the record. As great as 'Manic Monday' is, 'Following' is a truly sincere and bizarre number. It focuses on a high school crush a few years after graduation. It's about dealing with those first feelings of love that you never really satisfy. More than any other song on this record, I can relate to this one. And it is powerful.


Because she is featured on the singles released by the band, Susanna Hoffs got more media attention than any of the other members and she became the center of attention. It wasn't intentional, but it did cause some friction in the group. She has the most interesting voice of the band members, but never seemed to want the limelight. She eventually released a solo record, but returned to the group and has been a stalwart member ever since.

I guess my interest in the band peeked with this record as I never purchased any more of their material. Although they record solid music, I've find it somewhat choppy. In my opinion, the band members each pull the group in different directions on different songs. I would normally find this interesting, but the lack of a common thread makes listening to the Bangles kinda like listening to Fleetwood Mac. There's the Lindsey Buckingham songs, the Stevie Nicks songs and the Christine McVie tracks. Every once in awhile you get a number that seems to be a group effort but for the most part, you're jostling between one of the three singers and their style. The Bangles are
very similar. You can't fault them as each of the women are talented vocalists, but that all over feeling can be difficult to get into. Especially when there's a visual presence like Susanna Hoffs. In the end, I think this is a solid record with great tunes. It's definitely one of the most important records of the 80's. Not just because it helped solidify women as strong capable musicians and songwriters, but because much of the music featured so heavily in the everyday lives of so many young people. My final words: AN 80'S CLASSIC!


BANGLES - DIFFERENT LIGHT
01.
Manic Monday
02. In A Different Light
03. Walking Down Your Street
04. Walk Like An Egyptian
05. Standing In The Hallway
06. Return Post
07. If She Knew What She Wants
08. Let It Go
09. September Gurls
10. Angels Don't Fall In Love
11. Following
12. Not Like You

No comments:

Post a Comment