Tuesday, July 20, 2010

FAMILY VALUES - TOUR '98

I saw this concert back in 1998. I don't remember Incubus playing, but I remember all the other acts. I went to the show because Rammstein was playing and I was a huge Rammstein fanatic. I couldn't wait to see them again.

From what I remember, it was an extremely enjoyable program for a festival type show. The fist group I remember playing was Orgy. I had the single for 'Blue Monday' but I didn't yet own the actual album. They were new and I liked what they were doing and became really excited after seeing them live. They inspired me to actually fork out the $15. and buy 'Candyass'. Looking back, I think I wouldn't have gone to such an extreme knowing what I know now. I remember the Limp Bizkit set and I really enjoyed their show, though I wasn't quite sure what to make of the break dancers. That was kinda odd. But I like the blend of Urban and alternative rock. It was fun!

Now Ice Cube... As much as I enjoyed his set, I don't think he was a good addition to this tour. In fact, I think it was a terrible idea. The audience was extremely restless and I heard more than one person screaming obscenities at him. It really dropped the momentum out from under the hype. You had some really great bands opening the show who warmed the crowd up. Then Ice Cube and the power in the room took a nose dive.

Fortunately, Rammstein came on and in my opinion totally upstaged Korn. They completely blew the roof off the place. It was awesome!

Now let's discuss the audio CD released to pump up ticket sales. It was nice to have a collection of performances of the show. However, I'm disappointed Rammstein only has one track on the disc. On the home video and DVD, they show two Rammstein songs. Still, at the time it was better than nothing. However, now... All these years later, Rammstein has a whole slew of live material for sale. DVDs and CDs. So this little item becomes less interesting. It is nice to have some of the other performances. There are a few things worth noting. Namely, Fred Durst from Limp Bizkit referring to the audience as "Baby" during their performance. "Do you like breakdancing, Baby?" It's funny and smart at the same time. Durst gets intimate with the audience without doing anything more than using a familiar term of endearment.

Then there's Jay Gordon of Orgy who's only comment comes at the beginning of 'Blue Monday'. He announces the song title, as if there's any doubt. With the most recognizable drum beat and melody, this little blurb is both redundant and absurd. Better by far to introduce the band's original material. The 'Intro'/'Interlude' s are more annoying than transitioning. I would strongly suggest avoiding this release unless you were a die-hard fan trying to complete a collection of one of the groups in question.

If you missed the show... You really missed out. It was an awesome experience and I will never forget how much fun I had.
My final word: WORTHLESS.


FAMILY VALUES - TOUR '98
01. Intro
02. Incubus - New Skin
03. interlude #1
04. Orgy - Dissention
05. Orgy - Gender
06. Orgy - Blue Monday
07. Interlude #2
08. Limp Bizkit - Cambodia
09. Limp Bizkit - Faith
10. Limp Bizkit - Jump Around
11. Interlude #3
12. Ice Cube - Check Yo Self (Remix)
13. Ice Cube - Natural Born Killaz
14. Ice Cube - Straight Outta Compton/F* Tha Police
15. Interlude #4
16. Rammstein - Du Hast
17. Interlude #5
18. Korn - Shot Liver Medley
19. Korn - Freak On A Leash
20. Korn - Twist/Chi
21. Korn - Got The Life

No comments:

Post a Comment