Wednesday, September 27, 2017

HOSER - NOSEBLEEDER

So this EP crossed my path recently and I ended up getting a CD copy as well as purchasing a digital download from the group on Bandcamp.  This is a 3 song EP by Pennsylvania rockers, Hoser.  Initially, I thought it would be typical garage rock.  The kind you hear all over America played in a teenager's bedroom as they cut their musical teeth and start to hone their songwriting skills.  

But I was wrong!  Dead wrong!

The opening track 'NoseBleeder' starts off with a haunting riff that is both promising and somewhat deceptive.  I got excited because I was hoping they'd fall sound wise in the White Zombie spooky rock category, but that intro quickly turns into some speed metal thrashing before settling into the main song.  Hoser's singer, Will, delivers a varied and frantic vocal that fits the track perfectly.  I can still hear that hint of Rob Zombie, but I'm also hearing some complex changes similar to the sort Billy Corgan would drop inexplicably into a Smashing Pumpkins track here and there.  My only complaint is the song ends too quickly.  There's definitely room for another verse or two.

'Perico' is the next track and once again, the band delivers a tight rock experience with some excellent chord changes and a natural build in the progression throughout the track.  As good as 'Perico' is, my favorite cut on the record has to be 'Kensington And Somerset'.  There's a pop sensibility that really shines through on this track and under the right circumstances, it could easily be the type of crossover single that could open new revenue streams.  To put it in a more simple way...  If Hoser were Maynard James Keenan, 'NoseBleeder' and 'Perico' would be Tool and 'Kensington And Somerset' would be A Perfect Circle.  More commercial and more accessible.

I gotta be honest here, I wasn't expecting to enjoy this band as much as I have so far.  I trolled their Bandcamp page and found out they'd also released a limited edition cassette that's already sold out.  That was slightly upsetting.  I would've purchased one.  But, that's cool.  This group, for all their musicianship and talent, haven't crossed over to mainstream commercial production yet.  In many ways, that's to their advantage.  It gives them a more raw sound that fits the type of music they're producing.  My copy of the CD featured a lot of hand drawn credits and song details.  There's a great deal of attention paid to the artwork.  I'm completely excited about that and thrilled to have discovered them so early on.  I've definitely got a collector's item on my hands.

With a proper studio, engineers and producers helping them during the recording process, I suspect Hoser will blow up quickly.  But just remember, you heard them here first!

On a side note, as I've listened to the disc and the tunes, I think the first full length album by Hoser should be called, "The Fat Kid's A Bleeder".  I used to kick that around as a possible band name, but I think it would totally fit this group.  Especially with a strong track like 'NoseBleeder' on the record.

If you're interested in hearing some new innovative rock music by an up and coming group, make sure you visit Hoser at bandcamp.com.  You can follow this link to get there:

https://hosertheband.bandcamp.com/

Pick up their EP and sign up to follow their progress.  Experience it all for yourself and I'm sure you'll enjoy what you hear!  My final words:  AN EXCITING NEW SOUND FROM AN EMERGING BLEND OF SPOOKY ROCK!

HOSER - NOSEBLEEDER
01. NoseBleeder
02. Perico
03. Kensington And Somerset

No comments:

Post a Comment