Saturday, August 19, 2017

WENDY & LISA - EROICA

Eroica...  You can search the term on google, bing, whatever search engine floats your boat and you'll always find yourself coming back to Beethoven.  He used the word more than once in his compositions and its since become a word many people associate with him including authors and film makers.  

Why did Wendy & Lisa choose to name their album "Eroica"?  That's a question we may never have an answer to.  But when you consider the breadth of music these two study, consume and incorporate into their own sound, it's not hard to believe some of Beethoven's Eroica Variations might have had an impact on one or both of them.

It's almost beside the point when you get right down to it.  Whether the name is used to honor music they love or signal the listener something truly transformative is about to happen, it works.  Not only is it a departure from the Minneapolis Sound but it expands the subject matter and writing abilities of the pair in a dynamic way.

The first time I heard this record I wasn't sure what to think.  It seemed like W&L were branching out into some new musical territory.  At the time, a lot of women were taking center stage in a folk alt rock sorta way.  Bonnie Raitt, The Indigo Girls, Ani DiFranco and Melissa Etheridge...  A movement in women's music was off and running.  And it seemed almost like W&L were going to be a part of it.  But as I listened to "Eroica" more and more, I felt like there was something else happening.

One of the reasons I love Wendy & Lisa so much is because I don't feel alienated by their music.  I can relate to it from so many different angles.  Sometimes, I view their stuff from a more emotional, feminine side while in others, I'm more in tune with my masculine side.  Either way, they reach out to me because they sing about things I can internalize.  Their music becomes a backdrop to my life.  On this record, there are some astounding examples of that and there are songs I continually go back to even after all these years.

When you hear the opening chords of 'Rainbow Lake' a part of you feels completely at ease.  It's just Prince-y enough to make you feel like your in a comfortable place.  The organ swells over the minimalist electronic drum patch and the lovely visuals painted by the lyrics...  If Paisley Park were a real park, Rainbow Lake would be right beside it.  It's a visionary song.  

However, nothing can prepare you for the transition into 'Strung Out'.  Once that drum kicks in, you know you're in for something new and you're not disappointed.  Although the comparison of Love to a drug may not be a new concept, being addicted to a specific person is an interesting spin.  One approached from an almost joyful headspace.  As if the high achieved through that lover's touch, kiss and smile is more powerful than any drug.  Since discovering my demisexual nature, this song takes on a new meaning for me and is even more powerful.    A lover's smile can literally set my mind and heart free.  It can wash away worry and concern.  Not to mention, the song is absolutely kickin' and Wendy really rocks out on this one.

The next song is a more complicated endeavor.  'Mother Of Pearl' is the first song on this disc that reminds me of those old 70's rock bands who wrote crazy stories in their music.  The sorta band Christopher Guest poked fun at with his mocumentary film, "This Is Spinal Tap".  The song appears to be about a fight between lovers, but there's so much more to the lyrical content taken both in and out of context.  I could spend hours commenting on individual lines and tracing the slow tearing apart of this relationship, but I won't.  You'll have to listen to the song and see for yourself.  There are a couple of lines I absolutely do have to point out because they are, by themselves, so much more than the sum of this song.

"Guilt is the one thing
We could do without
Judgment the anvil
That's weighing us down"

I can't tell you how important those lines were to me when I realized I couldn't live a life trying to make my family happy.  The more I lied about who I was and adopted their religious views, the more unhappy I felt inside.  I knew in time I would suffocate under the pressure of that false life.  And all because I felt guilty.  That I was letting them down.  And fearful of the judgment.  I remember sitting alone one night listening to this song and playing that part over and over.  I realized I didn't have to hold on to the guilt I felt.  I wasn't doing anything wrong and the anvil of judgment on my shoulders wasn't a burden I had to carry.  Just like that, I made up my mind to start living for my own happiness and I stopped trying to live up to the expectations of others.

'Don't Try To Tell Me' is the first song sung by Lisa and it's another one that's taken me a long time to fully understand.  There's a resignation in her voice.  A sadness but also a tone of acceptance.  She's not going to make you stay if you don't want.  But at the same time, she's not going to change who she is.  I remember my ex telling me I was too co-dependent.  I was horrified.  Yet, as I thought about it, I couldn't see what was wrong with depending on your partner, or having them depend on you.  Of all the people in the world, isn't that who you should be able to depend on?  So if co-dependent means living a shared life and relying on each other, sign me up.  But don't ever try to tell me what I should or shouldn't be doing when it comes to love.  I've earned the knowledge I have of my self and I know who I am.  I'm not compromising that.  Even if it means losing a love.  That's the message I take from this song.

'Crack In The Pavement' to me is a song about perspective.  Seeing something in someone not commonly seen or overlooked.  And at the same time, seeing the side they don't usually show the world.  The chorus seems almost resentful of it, but I think it's more of a comment on honesty.  Why do people need to pretend to be something or someone they're not?  Why tell the world you're made of stone and then come cry on my shoulder when everything is too hard.  Amazing.

'Porch Swing'...  I actually think this song is about Prince.  Although I don't for one second think that Prince takes things real slow, the other metaphors they use to describe "The Guy (she) knows" are perfect.  It's a tender number and one that offers insight into a magical time in their lives.  'Why Wait For Heaven' is the sleeper rock opera I can't believe someone finally wrote.  The idea of making heaven here on Earth isn't new, but it's still incredible to hear Wendy sing about it like a call to arms.

'Turn Me Inside Out' is a tune about trying to understand  lover and be understood at the same time.  It's all about that process we go through as we get to know new people.  'Skeleton Key' is the promise of opening the door to new beginnings and a new life.  Maybe it's about introducing someone to their sexuality and helping them discover who they are.

'Valley Vista' is a track we can all relate to unless we've lived in the same place our entire lives.  I've driven past old homes my family lived in and homes I lived in with families I've made on my own.  There are so many memories that flood back to us when we see and experience these places later in life.  Such a unique song and one of the reasons I find them so compelling.  They can capture a specific feeling and moment in a song.

'Staring At The Sun' is the hopeful conclusion to the album and leaves you wondering, "What now?"  You wonder both for Wendy & Lisa and yourself.  This is another track I can personalize easily.  I can't imagine someone not being able to take this perspective and look out into their future and wonder what to do.  

The fact is, I could write about each one of these songs all day and discuss them at great length, but that's not what I'm trying to do here.  I'm trying to review the disc and give people the chance who haven't heard it to discover it.  Or those who are familiar with it, an opinion that might make them go back and listen again.

"Eroica" is one of my Desert Island Discs.  Whether the list be top 10, or top 20, this record will always find its way there.  It's simply that good and too much a part of my life.  I love it from start to finish.  How can I convince you to give this album a try?  If you haven't listened to Wendy & Lisa before, this would be the album to start with.

I feel like I'm just blithering now so I'll wrap it up.  But first, I should say...  My copy of this most excellent album includes a bonus disc of piano improvisations by Lisa.  I bought my copy on CD in Europe.  They're also amazing pieces of music.  I wonder if 'Eric's Ghost' is about Eric Leeds.  It would be nice to ask Lisa about that sometime.  And now for my final words:  A MUSICAL MASTERPIECE TRANSCENDING TRADITIONAL ROCK AND EMBRACING THE SPIRITUAL.  EVERYONE SHOULD OWN THIS RECORD.  IT'S THAT GOOD!

WENDY & LISA - EROICA
01. Rainbow Lake
02. Strung Out
03. Mother Of Pearl
04. Don't Try To Tell Me
05. Crack In The Pavement
06. Porch Swing
07. Why Wait For Heaven
08. Turn Me Inside Out
09. Skeleton Key
10. Valley Vista
11. Staring At The Sun
LISA COLEMAN - PIANO IMPROVISATIONS
01. Minneapolis #1
02. Minneapolis #2
03. Eric's Ghost
04. C-Ya

No comments:

Post a Comment