Saturday, April 15, 2017

MARK MALLMAN - MR. SERIOUS

"Is that an Earthquake???  No - It's Mark Mallman!!!!"

I remember the first time I saw Mark Mallman.  I didn't know what to think.  I saw him perform live and I couldn't decide if I was freaked out or utterly and completely blown away by his onstage presence.  After I'd had time to reflect on it, I realized this was a dynamic musical force I'd just discovered.

Slowly, but surely, I've been picking up his back catalog on eBay and Amazon.  I'm exploring his work and I'm finally ready to put some of my thoughts down in this blog.  I've noticed a few problems with my writing lately and I'm trying to avoid making them again.  Sometimes, I get caught up in a band or an artist and I lose perspective.  When I try to write a fair review of someone I'm obviously fascinated with, it often comes out sounding like a sugary gush of rainbow word vomit I mean to sound fair and objective, but instead, it sounds critical or downright negative.

I've decided there's no point in trying to deliver an objective review.  Why do I need to find something wrong with a piece of music I'm listening to if I enjoy it?  Obviously, reviews ultimately reflect the taste of the reviewer.  They're just opinions; and since I buy this music and consume it, I might as well say exactly what I'm thinking.  Even if it comes out like a heaping pile of unicorn poo.

Mallman is the American amalgamation of David Bowie and Elton John.  Have you ever seen the absolutely brilliant Hedwig And The Angry Inch?  As stunning as the soundtrack to that film is, Mallman's music on "Mr. Serious" is just as intriguing.  He snatches the very essence of that blues based rock and roll sound, coupled with unusual subject matter I find absolutely compelling and drives it through this disc like a semi-truck bearing down on unsuspecting roadkill.  

I'm always drawn to musicians who find the nerve to write about something other than the standard pop fare of love and sometimes politics.  And Mallman does this extremely well.  He's not limited to conventional thinking about composition or lyrical content.  Take 'Executioner'...  This highly reflective and distinctive tune sounds like it could appear as a haunting background track for a Tarantino thriller.  There's so much happening in the ponderance he conveys in this track.  Listen especially to the lines about killing the sparrow.  There's regret, but simultaneous resigned acceptance.  Highly effective. 

In the grand tradition of musical storytellers, Mallman takes us on a journey with songs like 'Still Wasted' and 'Hard Night'.  There's the bubbling pent up Americana in songs like 'Anesthesia' and 'I Work Here, I Grew Up Here'.  

I'm torn between choosing a favorite on this disc.  'Heart Is A Loaded Weapon' is a track I repeat over and over in my truck because I love the sentiment while at the same time, I dig the pounding piano punctuation creating a rhythm that's so much fun to blast out of my truck windows.  I'm also deeply drawn to 'Hardcore Romantics' and 'True Love'.  'Still Wasted' is another track I can't stop repeating.  It's got all the pop sensibility of a radio hit and let's face it...  It's absolute joy to sing along with.

This rock sound, Mallman expresses sounds both classical and modern at the same time.  He's created a hybrid sound that sweetly frames his emotional voice.  You hear vulnerability and depth in the way he delivers his secret messages.  Words you feel are for you alone.  Listen to 'Simply In The Distance' and try to believe he isn't singing directly to you.

If you appreciate strong songwriting, unique voices and craftsman quality musicianship, Mark Mallman is an artist you need to explore.  And I mean as soon as possible.  My final words:  CLIMB ON YOUR ROOF, FLOAT OFF INTO SPACE AND GET WASTED ON THIS CD!!!

MARK MALLMAN - MR. SERIOUS
01. I Just Want To Play Paino
02. Hardcore Romantics
03. True Love
04. Simply In The Distance
05. Still Wasted
06. Executioner
07. Midnight Man
08. Hard Night
09. Proof Is What You Get
10. Anesthesia
11. Heart Is A Loaded Weapon
12. I Work Here, I Grew Up Here

No comments:

Post a Comment