Wednesday, October 5, 2016

SHITTING GLITTER - OPEN FOR BUSINESS

This is an interesting band!  A friend of mine recommended I check them out.  He knew I'm a huge fan of Dick Valentine and Electric Six.  I didn't quite understand why he wanted me to hear this CD as much as he did until I got it.  Although not mentioned by name, E6 dynamic frontman, Dick Valentine appears on the track 'I'm A Vampire' as a guest vocalist.  Because I tend to be a completist when it comes to bands I like, this record would of course be essential to my Electric Six collection.  However, unlike previous albums I've picked up because Valentine makes an appearance, I really like this one.

SG is a band that combines the pop sensibility and sound of 80's new wave genre with innovative lyrics, catchy melodies and a challenging approach to just about everything they stick their hands in.  Photos of the band on the back cover and in the CD insert look like a drag version of glamour shots.  But instead of evoking a cringeworthy response, it comes across colorful and expressive.  Part of what made the 80's so interesting was the fantastic ways people would dress and wear their hair.  Like many of their glam rock compatriots, SG use costumes and make-up to create an image that's youthful, fun and brimming with gender bending sexuality.

I've actually got a few songs I really love on this disc.  The first one to end up on repeat for me was '19th & Lexington'.  I'm absolutely curious about the origin of this track and what inspired it.  There's a story behind that tune and I wanna hear it.  The second song I've completely flipped for is 'The Collection'.  This is one that might end up on a playlist I post online.  I love the "Roll call role play" chant in the song.  It's super catchy, tongue twisting and intentionally complicated.

'The Apple Falls' is another track I'm utterly enchanted with.  I love the line, "...circle fruit undo my made up world..."  One of the things I find myself really loving about this group is the lyrical content and the way they arrange the vocals.  It's unique!  'Socially Activist' is another blasting track with an amazing vocal performance.

There's the electronic element throughout the album, but there's also a strong California rock sound as well.  At time's I hear The Red Hot Chili Peppers and on 'Now Unthinkable' I hear some drumming that reminds me of the drummers Prince used towards the end of his career in the New Power Generation.  That's some serious funk chops they're laying down.

One of the most rewarding aspects of this blog is when I find a new up and coming band I think is doing something different and interesting.  Shitting Glitter fits that description and I see them as a vital musical force with the potential to start a new musical movement in California and beyond.  Their amalgamation of musical styles and queer culture make them a force to be reckoned with.  If they survive their time in obscurity as a new artist trying to crossover, I predict they'll end up fronting a whole generation of new bands ready to push the boundaries of conventional thinking.  If you want this record, click HERE to contact the band on Facebook and order it directly from them.  My final words:  JUST WHEN YOU THOUGHT IT WAS SAFE TO GO BACK IN THE 80'S...  SHITTING GLITTER ERUPTS LIKE A DIAMOND PIMPLE ALL OVER YOUR DISCO MIRRORS!  BUY THIS RECORD!

SHITTING GLITTER - OPEN FOR BUSINESS
01. Legalese
02. 19th & Lexington
03. Milk Money
04. Idiot Light
05. The Collection
06. Hopeless Romantic
07. The Apple Falls
08. I'm A Vampire
09. Socially Activist
10. The Red State
11. Now Unthinkable
12. Treasure Good Things

No comments:

Post a Comment