Tuesday, August 23, 2016

SUGARHILL GANG - RAPPER'S DELIGHT: THE BEST OF SUGARHILL GANG

Do you remember the Sugarhill Gang?  They were part of the burgeoning rap community when it was just starting.  They sampled music from other artists; which I normally hate, and they created some memorable music that is just as ingrained in my memory of the 80's as New Wave and the Minneapolis sound.

In the grand tradition of George Clinton, Parliament and Funkadelic, the Sugarhill Gang turn each track into an extended musical jam.  This was before rap became a more popular crossover genre and the songs shortened to a radio friendly length.  However, on this collection, you don't have to worry.  Nothing is edited down.  You're treated to the full versions!  In fact, 'Rapper's Delight', probably the song the band is most remembered for, clocks in around 15 minutes.  In this instance, I think a well chosen edit would've gone a long way to making this a more accessible collection.

In reality, the long track lengths often make the songs hard to sit through.  It's kinda cool and a bit of a status indicator that 'Rapper's Delight' and 'Apache' are in my collection.  If I ever wanted to do a comedic strip tease I've got the tunes all ready to go.

The songs themselves are highly reminiscent of Disco in the 70's with horns punctuating changes and beats.  This music is really dated and definitely has not stood up to the test of time.  But isn't that kind of what makes a classic a classic?  It certainly limits the audience and relevancy of the material, but that's OK.  As long as the fans who remember these tunes fondly are still around to listen to them.  Their music reminds me of Curtis Blow.  Of course with the advancement of rap, these raps sound like something you'd hear at a grade school talent show.  There's not much more I can say about this record.  I bought it as a gag because I remembered the songs and how much I liked them as a kid.  As an adult, they leave a lot to be desired.  My final words:  A NOVELTY CD AT BEST.

SUGARHILL GANG - RAPPER'S DELIGHT: THE BEST OF SUGARHILL GANG
01. Rapper's Delight
02. Hot Hot Summer Day
03. 8th Wonder
04. Showdown
05. Apache
06. The Lover In You
07. The Word Is Out
08. Kick It Live From 9 To 5
09. Livin' In The Fast Lane
10. Girls
11. Work, Work, The Body

No comments:

Post a Comment