Tuesday, July 14, 2015

THE BLACK KEYS - EL CAMINO

The Black Keys were a band that kinda played around my consciousness for a few months before I finally actually sat down and listened to them.  My sister was listening to them and the guy I was dating at the time was into them pretty hardcore.  In fact, my copy of this disc is the birthday gift I bought for him and then he left it behind when he disappeared.  So now...  It belongs to me.

I know absolutely nothing about the band other than what I'm hearing on this disc.  There's a certain quality to the music that reminds me of my favorite My Life With The Thrill Kill Kult album, "Hit & Run Holiday".  It has many elements from classic pop and rock.  The album starts with 'Lonely Boy'.  This is not only the 1st song on the disc, it's also my favorite on the disc.  I adore this tune and I think it's brilliant pop.  "I've got a love that keeps me waiting..." is both totally descriptive of my life and how I feel most of the time.  It's followed up by 'Dead And Gone'.  This is another strong rock/pop tune and it's quite catchy.  I like it too.  The next track is awesome too.  'Gold On The Ceiling' keeps the momentum going and keeps the record swinging.  The chorus on this number is absolutely inspired.


'Little Black Submarines' is the first slow song on the disc and once again, the Keys have written a catchy melody and it's a strong song.  The first time I listened to it, I thought the vocals were weak, but on subsequent listenings,  Auerbach's vocals actually sound vulnerable rather than weak.  He sends out a very powerful message with this sentimental confession.  And it's pure art.  Very lovely.  'Money Maker' feels like a dance song after that.  However, the vocal arrangement is slower and makes the song sound like it was written in the 60's.  Of all on this record, this is probably my least favorite but I still like it.

'Run Right Back' has a twang and groove similar to the rest of the record.  There's an interesting vocal in the chorus I quite like.  'Sister' starts off like a stomp and it's another sensible song with a great beat.  The echo effect is on this tune a little more than I normally like, but what can you do.  'Hell Of A Season' sound similar to 'Lonely Boy' to me.  It's still a good song.  'Stop Stop' sounds like that psychedelic music from the 60's to me.  It's probably the tamborine that does it.  Still, the chorus is strong and I enjoy it.  

'Nova Baby' starts off loud and strong as a full band song, but it quickly transitions to a stripped down rocker, with the band coming back in on the chorus.  What this song does have is amazing lyrics.  The gist of the message is Auerbach singing about how his lover won't return his sentiment and affection because they don't know what they want.  The album closes with 'Mind Eraser'.  This mid-tempo semi-ballad is an interesting way to close out the record.  Auerbach sings, "don't let it be over..." but sadly, the album can't go on forever and at some point, it needed to end.  Still, they did a great job with this record and I recommend it.  Especially to older people who feel like they're out of touch with current music trends.  Check it out and see what you think.

My final words:  A REDNECKIN', HAY-RIDIN', CHICKEN SCRATCHIN', GRITS EATIN' GOOD TIME FROM A BAND THAT SHOULD BE SUPER EASY TO FOLLOW AND ENJOY!  THIS ONE IS WORTH OWNING.

THE BLACK KEYS - EL  CAMINO
01. Lonely Boy
02. Dead And Gone
03. Gold On The Ceiling
04. Little Black Submarines
05. Money Maker
06. Run Right Back
07. Sister
08. Hell Of A Season
09. Stop Stop
10. Nova Baby
11. Mind Eraser

No comments:

Post a Comment