Wednesday, October 1, 2014

DEEP FOREST - MADE IN JAPAN

By now, I'm sure you're aware of why I like Deep Forest and respect their work.  This is a little different than what you'd expect from them and that's because this is a live album.  Normally, electronic artists who try to convert their sound to live instruments often end up losing the intensity of the music.  In most cases, it just sounds blah...  Depeche Mode is an example of a band that has some success transitioning their electronic songs to a live stage.  But it doesn't always work.  Juno Reactor is another band who does it and I normally think it doesn't work at all when they do it.  However, I enjoy the songs anyway.  Deep Forest have one advantage to all of those groups.  They incorporate many live instruments into the electronic music during the initial recording.  Along with the vocals.  So you have a blend that has a good chance of transitioning to a live setting.  It still sounds a bit off, but it's a magnificent attempt at recreating the sound you get on the albums.

My biggest complaint with this release is the fact the Japanese version includes two additional tracks not featured on the US version.  And I don't understand that.  It makes no sense why the Japanese versions end up with more material.  They're expensive to buy in the states if you're wanting to own it.  And I don't know why the record companies think one country should have access to the entire concert while others shouldn't.  I think it's a ripoff and I'm disappointed I'm missing the two tracks.  Eventually, I'll have to upgrade my copy to the Japanese version.  If I ever find it for a reasonable price.


My second biggest complaint is why the band didn't do a world tour...  I'd love to see them live.  But as far as I know, they never came to the states.


There's some improvisation in the songs you don't ever get on the albums happening here.  And that's fun to hear.  Especially during the breakdown portion of 'Cafe Europa'.  I love that track anyway, so it's exciting to hear. 


They have 3 vocalists who do a very good approximation of the vocals you hear on the albums.  I was very impressed with the way they came out.  I believe this attention to detail demonstrates the respect and dedication the band have for the traditional folk music they seek to preserve and protect.


I won't bother breaking this one down track by track because I'll do my individual reviews of the songs on their respected albums.  But I will comment on the overall presentation of them.  The songs are all wonderful and they're showcased nicely in these live arrangements.  The audience is appreciative and you get the sense the atmosphere was dynamic!  There are a couple highpoints I'd like to point out.  'Forest Power' has an amazing instrumental jam, 'Sweet Lullaby' is absolutely amazing and 'Madazulu' is fantastic live.  Of all the tracks, I think 'Madazulu' would be the one least suited to a live performance and yet they pull it off brilliantly.


I won't go on and on about the disc.  You'll have to decide yourself to pick it up.  I'll just sum it up in my final words and say:  TOTALLY WORTH IT, BUT BUY THE JAPANESE VERSION...


DEEP FOREST - MADE IN JAPAN

01. Ekue Ekue
02. Green And Blue
03. Deep Weather
04. Bohemian Ballet
05. Deep Folk Song
06. Freedom Cry
07. Cafe Europa
08. Forest Power
09. Hunting
10. Forest Hymn
11. Sweet Lullaby
12. Madazulu

No comments:

Post a Comment